PDA

View Full Version : Keller vs MLCS Through Dovetail Jigs

Terry Flowers
03-17-2007, 10:04 PM
Can anyone tell me if this jig, which is more expensive and made from phenolic http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000022420/ref=ord_cart_shr/102-9585490-3826565?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

is better or worse than this jig, which is made from aluminum and much cheaper http://mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/dovetailjig.html#brass_bushing_anchor

???

Thanks,
Terry

Grant Wilkinson
03-18-2007, 11:41 AM
Terry

One thing to keep in mind is that the price of the Keller includes 2 router bits. The other one requires you to buy collars if you don't already have them, and bits. I use Keller and love it for its simplicity and accuracy. You don't use a collar on your router. You use bits with a bearing that ride in the jig. It increase accuracy, since it is not unusual that a bit does not sit precisely in the centre of the collar.

I got the Keller that is two separate jigs, rather than the double sided one. It's a bit more expensive that way, but I prefer it. Go on the Keller site and you can see all the options.

If you have any questions about using a Keller, just ask.

Grant
Ottawa ON

Peter Lyon
03-18-2007, 12:20 PM
I have the Keller jig and find that it is all that it's cracked up to be -- a practically foolproof method for quickly producing fixed spaced through dovetails.

My $.02 is that there's not a great advantage to the aluminum over phenolic. The most likely way damage would occur to these is if the operator lifts up the router bit while it's in operation -- this is going to severely damage either unit, regardless of whether its Al or plastic.

Maurice Ungaro
03-18-2007, 2:44 PM
Another thing to remember about the Keller is that you can make unlimited runs of dovetails. You just make the cuts on a wide board, unclamp, and reposition to continue making cuts.

Brian Dormer
03-18-2007, 3:03 PM
my 2 cents - If I make a mistake (and I *NEVER* do that - yeah, right!) I would much rather have a router bit chew into a plastic template than a metal one.

Gary Keedwell
03-18-2007, 4:57 PM
One question: What size shank does the Keller jig use?

Gary K.:confused:

Glen Blanchard
03-18-2007, 5:02 PM
One question: What size shank does the Keller jig use?

Gary K.:confused:

Mine are 1/4". I was thinking about this the other day. Do they even offer 1/2"? And if not, why not?

Grant Wilkinson
03-19-2007, 5:40 AM
When I got mine, they only offered 1/4".

AFAIK, that's still the case.

Grant
Ottawa ON