PDA

View Full Version : Construction

George Bledsoe
12-18-2003, 2:31 PM
I am building two curio cabinets out of red oak that I have cut on my sawmill. I have a question on construction and wood movement. The cabinets are basically a bottom, middle, and top shelf of solid oak. The fronts and sides are solid oak M/T frames that will hold the glass panels. I am not sure how I should attach the frames to the shelves. I am concerned about the shelves expanding and contracting and causing problems with the frames. I don't have a plan and all the cabinets I have looked at are made of "furniture board" which of course is everything except real solid wood. Any Good ideas?

Report Post | IP: Logged

Todd Burch
12-18-2003, 3:15 PM
George, that's a big opportunity for a cracked shelf if you fasten the shelf completely front to back.

I think the best option would be a sliding dovetail joint and only fasten it in the front 3-4 inches with glue.

Fastening the shelf at the front will give you a consistent gap (no gap) where the face frame meets the shelf. Give yourself a small gap at the back edge, or no gap at the back edge if you expect your wood to shrink based on the moisture content of the wood right now.

The dovetail will give you a mechanical joint that won't allow the case sides to pull apart.

Another option for your fixed shelves is to make M/T frames with a piece of glass for the shelf - just like you are for the front and sides. Then, you could affix the shelf any number of ways, like a dado or sliding dovetail.

Todd