PDA

View Full Version : EZ Smart Router Guide

John Myer
03-17-2007, 8:52 PM
For anyone that has purchased and used an Eurekazone EZ Router Guide.
What were some of your applications? Were you pleased with the results? Would you make the purchase all over again?

I'm thinking about purchase the router guide to go with the EZ Panel System that I recently purchased. I think my only application would be to cut dados instead of doing that on a table saw. My reservation is the cost. The router guide cost nearly as much as my router. Maybe a homemade dado jig would be more cost effective. Thoughts?

Jim Becker
03-17-2007, 9:18 PM
Precision guided systems like EZ and others bring a level of accuracy and repeatability that you cannot always get with shop-built guides. A lot of this has to do with the mounting system for the tool being used and how smoothly it will slide while staying where it's supposed to be. While your intended use appears to be dados, don't write off crosscutting panels and other materials that would be cumbersome (or even unsafe) to cut with your table saw.

Dino Makropoulos
03-17-2007, 10:24 PM
I think my only application would be to cut dados instead of doing that on a table saw.

John.
For doing "only" dados you don't need the SRK or a home made jig.
You can remove the white antichip edgee (they slide in and out very easy) from the guide rail and use the guide as an edge guide for dados.

Tape two pieces of cardboard under the guide rail (on both ends) and you eliminate the measuring.
(Rout the cardboard to get the zero routing line)

You can always make your own guide/traveler for your router for more control.
The SRK is very expensive for just one application.

A new and simpler SRK (SRK-2) is due in few days (without the sliding arm)
and much lower price.

YCF Dino
Eurekazone

David Wambolt
03-17-2007, 10:32 PM
The EZ is a nice system and works well. You can set it up easily and repeat, one after another. I enjoy using it and at times it's actually fun. It's also a challenge to come up with new ways of doing things, and it's one of the few tools that allows you that freedom to explore. I recently purchased Dino's full product line in one big purchase (well I think I got most everything). The SRK works nicely, and you can do all sorts of neat things with it. I use it for dados as well, and it's like slicing through butter with the ez glide. I went with the recommended DW621 router and man I could not be happier.

Dino also offers a level of customer service with his products that few others do. For example I bought some stuff and now he's either replacing it or supplementing it with newer products (bridge is one example). He told me I could send whatever back I'm not using for a refund. That right there means something to me. I can't wait for some of Dino's new inventions because I see a new smart table and bridge in my very near future (I hope!!). Plus I want saw base for my Bosch direct connect worm drive so I can be just like Dino. :)

Burt Waddell
03-17-2007, 10:39 PM
John,

I do kitchen cabinets and custom furniture for a living and consider the SRK to be an essential. It is the easiest, most accurate method I have found for making dado's for shelves. There is none of the strain of lifting and pushing the board across the table saw. Example: This week we did a 8' cabinet for a double oven. We laid the end panels side by side on a table, clamped them together and went to work with the SRk. In just a few minutes, we had the dados in the cabinet ends.

Burt

Dave Falkenstein
03-17-2007, 11:07 PM
...Example: This week we did a 8' cabinet for a double oven. We laid the end panels side by side on a table, clamped them together and went to work with the SRk. In just a few minutes, we had the dados in the cabinet ends.

Burt

Hi Burt - Have you thought about cutting the dados before you cut the panels to size? I like that method for locating matching dados perfectly.

Burt Waddell
03-18-2007, 12:01 AM
Hi Burt - Have you thought about cutting the dados before you cut the panels to size? I like that method for locating matching dados perfectly.

Dave,

There are several ways to do the dados. I have tried cutting dados before I cut the panels to size but with good equipment like the SRK and a couple large clamps, it doesn't make a lot of difference. I like to get that big sheet trimmed down as soon as possible.

There is more of an advantage when doing smaller cabinets.

Burt

Randal Stevenson
03-18-2007, 8:45 AM
Before getting the planner to use on the SRK (Early version), I used my old router, and a longer straight bit, to edge some rough lumber, like a jointer. Others have used it as an upside down router table (gonna have to try some tongue and groove this summer) and a milling machine.

Bart Leetch
03-18-2007, 12:04 PM
I have to admit I like the EZ system but really get overloaded when I go to the site there is so much to look at (which is fun) but as funny as it sounds all I really want is a straight edge to run my Ryobi 18V saw down to rip plywood down to a easy to handle size for the table-saw t and run my router a PC 690 down for dados. I may want more later but just trying to understand all the system can do can be a bit confusing. Maybe it just me.:eek: :D

Burt Waddell
03-18-2007, 5:49 PM
I have to admit I like the EZ system but really get overloaded when I go to the site there is so much to look at (which is fun) but as funny as it sounds all I really want is a straight edge to run my Ryobi 18V saw down to rip plywood down to a easy to handle size for the table-saw t and run my router a PC 690 down for dados. I may want more later but just trying to understand all the system can do can be a bit confusing. Maybe it just me.:eek: :D

Bart,

The neat thing is that no one knows all the EZ System can do. It's canned my jobsite table saw, took the majority of the work away from my unisaw and just about has total control of the SCMS.

Burt