PDA

View Full Version : Barstools in the rough

Mark Singer
03-17-2007, 8:22 PM
I needed to replace my barstools since they were also purchased by Ms. Kim that I am doing several pieces for:rolleyes: So at the risk of not repeating myself (huh?) I used zebra and made a contoured seat. I would like to say that I measured diferent people to get an average....or I sat in wet clay...but I just looked at a Maloof rocker and got the general idea...No scientific posterior analysis:eek: ....I made a template and used a marker to establish the break line and another for the leg curves on the front edge. These are still rough and there is a fair amount of shaping to go...Today I shaped 2 and there are 2 more to go...

Mark Singer
03-17-2007, 8:24 PM
this is zebra also....they didn't have horse:confused:

Lars Thomas
03-17-2007, 8:24 PM
Looking good Mark. What are you shaping them with? Someone did nice work with the SS too. Lars

Ken Fitzgerald
03-17-2007, 8:26 PM
this is zebra also....they didn't have horse:confused:

Nicely done as alway Mark......I gotta ask.....Did John Hart inquire about "horse"?

Fred Voorhees
03-17-2007, 8:26 PM
Yes Mark, I'm curious also about how you did the actual shaping. Nice work, now, fess up.:D

Mark Singer
03-17-2007, 8:43 PM
The shaping was done in an unusual method.....I velcroed 50 grit adhesive particles to my behind and then I did the Hokey Pokey:rolleyes:
Ok Ok....On the marker line I started to form a groove using a die grinder and a burr....air powered Grex unit. This tool is controlable and basically gives you a recess to work to without fear of jumping over the line. Next was my Makita angle grinder....eye protection and dust mask in place...and leather gloves.. The Makita is fitted with an Arbortech cadbide blade. It has maybe 4 teeth on it. This thing is a roughing tool. I am pretty accurate with it, but its hard to see if you are making dips. Next is the Festool 150 Rotex with 35 grit used in the grinder mode. Then back to the die grinder to transition the edges....My fathful 2 " pneumatic Grex sander with 35 grit. Finally a Bosch 5" ROS with 60 grit. There is still lots of shaping to go....and I will go up to 220 grit and then synthetic 3m steel wool pads..... This is a pretty easy shaping job actually compared to the lamps and drawer fronts I have made....each one is slightly different, but not to the naked eye...you need to measure it:rolleyes: Like my Fther ysed to say..."Good enough for Government work!"
http://www.woodworker.com/images/ss/902-873.jpg (http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=902-873)

Per Swenson
03-17-2007, 8:43 PM
Very cool Mark,

But I would need a course in how to sit on them.

This from a born slouch with a masters in poor posture.

Per

Paul Turner
03-17-2007, 8:59 PM
Very cool Mark,

But I would need a course in how to sit on them.

This from a born slouch with a masters in poor posture.

Per

Step 1: Put elbows on bar;
Step 2: Put butt in seat.
DO NOT remove more than one elbow from bar.

Mark Singer
03-17-2007, 9:06 PM
Step 1: Put elbows on bar;
Step 2: Put butt in seat.
DO NOT remove more than one elbow from bar.

Thanks Paul....that was just what I needed to know:confused:

Jim Becker
03-17-2007, 9:12 PM
Very kewel, Mark! They look comfortable...I need to get a trip out that way so I can officially "test" them... :D

Mark Singer
03-17-2007, 9:21 PM
Very kewel, Mark! They look comfortable...I need to get a trip out that way so I can officially "test" them... :D

I have both white and red beverages...ale's and porters and Anchor Steam....waiting....1 ...2....3...4...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
03-17-2007, 9:25 PM
With all that, Mark...I'd probably fall off them after the "test" was underway for a bit of time...but I like how you think... :D

Mark Singer
03-18-2007, 1:13 AM
I will make a special brew that I only serve to visiting woodworkers...no it does not have Tightbond II in it! Next guess????:rolleyes:

Richard Wolf
03-18-2007, 8:30 AM
Nice work Mark. BTW, posterior analysis with the right subject can be very rewarding.

Richard

Mark Singer
03-18-2007, 9:38 AM
Nice work Mark. BTW, posterior analysis with the right subject can be very rewarding.

Richard

Richard you took the words out of my mouth....everytime I started to write something....that little voice kept saying "don't go there.....You will make a posterior of yourself":rolleyes: