PDA

View Full Version : Bear Tooth Woods-Sierra Pen Kits

Tim Brooks
03-17-2007, 7:46 PM
I have just received the Sierra pen kits from Bear Tooth woods along with some pen blanks and began making the frist pen today. The kit calls for the hole to be drilled using a 27/64 drill bit. After drilling two blanks, I went to glue the tubes and much to my surprise, the holes are too big!:mad:

Have any of you ordered from Bear Tooth Woods and found the same to be the case? The kits look to be good quality but I am just a beginner.

Thanks for the input.

Stephen Hibbs
03-17-2007, 10:21 PM
I would be willing to bet that it's really calling for a 10mm hole (fairly standard for pens) but due to a certain disdain and fear of the metric system they decided to opt for the 27/64" option, which is slightly larger than 10mm. If the difference is pretty big, then that's not it, but 27/64 in = 10.07mm, not a lot but enough to make it a problem. I recommend going with a 10mm bit.

Joe Melton
03-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Bear Tooth Woods is a reputable dealer. I suggest measuring the brass tube and then using a drill bit that allows a thousandth or two for glue.
Joe

Corey Hallagan
03-17-2007, 11:24 PM
I order from Ernie all the time. I use that kit and his drill bits. No problem. Are you sure you aren't getting run out on the drill press causing the hole to be to big?

corey

Tim Brooks
03-18-2007, 3:11 PM
The tubes are actually .0014 smaller than the 27/64 drill bit. I had already drilled the two blanks when I discovered this problem. Could it be run out? If it is then, it is so slight that it cannot be seen with the naked eye. But then again, I guess .0014 would be pretty small, huh? I have emailed Ernie for his suggestions. I have no doubt he is a reputable and I am not above admiting my errors either.

We'll see...

Stan Cook
03-18-2007, 3:32 PM
The sierra is one of my favorites. I use a 27/64 bit and have no problems. It does sound like you could have some run out. Another possibility might an oversize bit - check with calipers.