PDA

View Full Version : Any one experienced this?

David Spiers
03-17-2007, 6:53 PM
Evening,
I have a question. I purchased a 6" tool rest and post from BestTools.com. Great product - no problem with quality. Problem - I went to turn a pen on my 1642, Put the post in the banjo (spelling?) attached the 3/4" 6" bar. Tried to adjust the banjo so that I could get as close to the blank as possible. The banjo stopped about 1" away from the blank making the tool rest the same distance from the blank. I have noticed that the banjo that came with the lathe is offset from the post. this one is not. Is that the problem? Is there a smaller offset post that can be got for the 1642? (the one that came with it is 12". I have looked under the banjo and I see a snap ring stopping the banjo at a certain distance. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,
David

oh by the way - the 1642 is sweet. I love the variable speed. the size of the lathe will take a little getting used to.

Fred Floyd
03-18-2007, 4:36 AM
I had the same issue with a 6" rest. Found another that had the same tilt and got on with my life.

The 1642 is a great lathe. I've had mine for 2yrs (2hp). Every once in a while, I think about the PM3520B, but it passes quickly. Mine is the same power. Only real difference is weight and the PM has a 20" swing.

Philip Duffy
03-18-2007, 6:03 AM
You hit the nail on the head with the tool rests from Best Tools. I have a 9in and can not get it close enough to the workpiece on my PM-3520 in. lathe. It is useful only on the larger pieces I turn. The other day I picked it up and it was covered with surface corrosion because the chips from the day before had fallen and covered it up. My mistake, but it would have been nice to have had a shinny metal rest. Philip