PDA

View Full Version : First Project.. Barrister Bookcase Unit

Tommy Emmons
03-17-2007, 4:47 PM
This is my first project and many thanks are due to the folks on this board for their help and advise. Thank you.

The unit is 8 feet high and 6 feet wide, give or take an inch. The wood is red oak and was stained and top coated with poly. The glass is 1/8 inch thick. I don't have any plans. I just designed it in my mind and wrote most of the dimensions down on my phenolic topped assembly table. White phenolic makes a good scratch pad.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q214/TEXAS1970/Bookcase1.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q214/TEXAS1970/bookcase4.jpg

everett lowell
03-17-2007, 4:53 PM
wow Tommy, thats pretty impresive for a first project! nice work!:)

glenn bradley
03-17-2007, 5:31 PM
Lookin' good! Did you etch the glass or have it done. I'm assuming you're a Texas boy(?).

Tommy Emmons
03-17-2007, 5:39 PM
Special thanks to you Glenn for the heads up on Vandykes for the antique brass knobs.

The glass is not acutally etched. There is a graphics place, here in Salado, that is owned by the same family that cut and installed the glass. The lady makes decals from a vinyl that looks like etched glass. It is applied to the inside of the glass. You can not tell the difference unless you feel the inside surface. I thought about etching, but if I ever sell the house, the buyers might not be as big a UT fan as I am. Heaven forbid, the might even be an aggie. All the glass installed and the decal was less than $40.

Don Bullock
03-17-2007, 9:04 PM
Hook 'em horns!!!! ;) :D That's a beautiful bookcase unit. Congratulations on a super job. Now, you wouldn't really sell your house to an Aggie, would you?:eek:

Jim Becker
03-17-2007, 9:10 PM
Great job, Tommy. A VERY impressive "first project". In fact, it would be impressive if it was your hundreth. ;) Beautiful work!

John Huber
03-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Tommy,

A really fine piece of furniture! Why don't you bring a photo to the next FWW meeting?

Lori Kleinberg
03-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Impressive cabinet. Thanks for the pics. Keep up the good work.

Corey Hallagan
03-18-2007, 9:38 PM
What a beautiful first project, beats the heck out of my first project... a clock!

Corey

John Michaels
03-19-2007, 12:30 AM
You did a wonderful job staining that oak. It has a beautiful color.
Very nice work for a first project.

Paul Johnstone
03-19-2007, 2:51 PM
What a beautiful first project, beats the heck out of my first project... a clock!

Corey

My first project was a shop base cabinent to go the left of the tablesaw.
Let's just say it's functional, but it's ugly as sin. I made so many mistakes on it, that it looks comical. My friends laugh at it.

Stan Tillinghast
03-20-2007, 2:37 AM
I think I need a good 10 years of trying before I post my "first" project.:eek:
Terrific looking bookcase!

Tommy Emmons
03-20-2007, 2:43 AM
This was not a choice for the first poject. SWMBO told me that we needed a bookcase and some storage for my study. I have a bunch of books and they are still in boxes in the garage. Hence, momma's car sits outside. If momma aint happy, aint nobody happy.

John Michaels
03-20-2007, 4:23 AM
Do the glass doors stay open when lifted up?

Tommy Emmons
03-20-2007, 6:54 AM
Yes, the glass doors stay up when opened. There is a 3/8" dado in the vertical sides. When the door is opened and pushed back along the dado, there is a dowel that is at the front of the dado and about 1/2" below the dado. The door rests upon the dowel.

Eugene A. Manzo III
03-20-2007, 9:31 PM
If thats your first project , you must have made practice cuts for 20 years ;) Excellent job.