PDA

View Full Version : First box ... kinda long ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
12-18-2003, 11:17 AM
My SIL asked if I could make her a box to store a bible in. The bible is from around 1800 and her father is giving it to her, but she has nowhere safe to keep it. It's 11' X 9" X 3 3/8" in size. I've never made a box before, except round ones on the lathe. So being adventurous, I enlisted my neighbor, Jim Guyton, to assist and coach me. He's a furniture builder, so he pointed me in the right directions.
Since this would be the first ever (I'll make her a better one as my skills improve) ... I made the case out of pine shelving board we had on hand. The top was a piece of oak we glued up. I learned how to cut dovetails and use the bisquit joiner. He next showed me how to use the planer on the top to get it uniform thickness and the shaper to do the half roundover on the top. He showed me how to slot the sides to let the bottom "float" instead of nailing it in place. Sanded all the pieces and dry fit. Then we glued up and clamped overnight. He showed me how to stain the case to match the top. A couple coats of Danish Oil and some antique brass hinges ... and TA DA ... finished, except for a clasp on the front. The final OS dimensions are 14" X 11" X 5". The IS dimensions are 12" X 9 1/2" X 3 5/8", so it ought to be snug. Thanks for looking.

Tyler Howell
12-18-2003, 11:33 AM
A great Place for "The Good Book".
Nicely Done
TJH

Don Abele
12-18-2003, 11:52 AM
Ron, seems like not only is your sister going to get an excellent box, but you got some significant lessons along the way. Sounds like a great neighbor. Excellent piece.

Be well,

Doc

Noah Alkinburgh
12-18-2003, 1:10 PM
Ron,

Looks great. You did a super job of matching the box and the top! All it needs now is some nice laser engraving to finish it off. :)

Noah

Bert Johansen
12-18-2003, 2:37 PM
Congrats, Ron, you made a wonderful keepsake for your SIL. Very nice job! I'm particularly impressed with the huge gift your neighbor gave you. You learned many, many useful techniques in the making of this small project, and you are exceptionally lucky to have Jim Guyton as a neighbor. Huge gloat for you!
Bert

John Scarpa
12-18-2003, 3:16 PM
Ron, Nice box for your SIL. It was a real opportunity having your experienced neighbor take the time to guide you with your first box.

Ed Falis
12-18-2003, 10:06 PM
Ron.

That's a real pretty piece - regardless of all the learning experience you got from it. Great when it turns out that way, isn't it?

= Ed