PDA

View Full Version : I screwed up how do I fix it?

Ed Blough
03-17-2007, 1:41 PM
I built my cabinets and door to use European hinges with a 3/4 inch overlay. I was having problems routing the edges of the doors and in my zeal to fix that I completely forgot European hinges require a 35mm 1/2" deep.
I routed a super nice ogee on the edges of the door and now I don't have 1/2 of thickness until I'm more than 6mm in from the edge. However on the instruction sheets of the hinges that I have seen they all call for the outer edge of the 35mm hole to be approx within 2 mm of the edge.

If I drill 1/2 inch 2mm in from the edge I will drill through the ogee edge.

What do I do?

Is there European hinges that uses the 35mm hole more than 6mm from the edge of the door?

Is there another type of hinge that will work with face frame cabinets allow for 3/4" overlay that is concealed?

Lastly anyone know a hinge that works with a face frame, allows for 3/4 " overlay and if seen looks nice enough that my wife won't kill me?

Please I really screwed up and I need help.

Grant Wilkinson
03-17-2007, 4:07 PM
The Blum hinges that I have call for the centre of the hole to be 22.5 mm from the edge, which would put the outside of the hole 5 mm from the edge. You need a minimum of 6, yes?
What about putting a thin "veneer" strip on the stile of the door where the hinge hole will be drilled. You could space it in 4 mm of so from the edge, so it wouldn't show at all from the outside. You could make it thick enough to give you your 1/2" you need for your 35mm hole. If you bevel the inside edge, it shouldn't look too bad when you open the door.
Grant
Ottawa ON

Steve Clardy
03-17-2007, 4:34 PM
They make a euro cup that is 3/8" deep instead of the standard 1/2".
I posted in here some time ago. Can't find it at the moment.

Here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=51878

Post #6 gives the link

Dave Falkenstein
03-17-2007, 6:51 PM
I have had excellent customer service from these folks when I needed to match a really old Euro hinge. They are very knowledgeable and helpful. Perhaps they can recommend a hinge that will work for you without having to rework the doors.

http://www.cabinetparts.com/shop_2006/contact/