PDA

View Full Version : Banksia - Ben-Gay/Absorbine/Wild Turkey? (long)

Rick Smith
03-17-2007, 1:08 PM
I mentioned earlier that I was going to embark on a chess set, using Banksia for one set of pieces. I cornered one of them in the Knot Whole (my shop), and lathe-ized it. The intent was to test a size, big enough to display the banksia, but not be too big.
I think I did fine getting a reasonable shape to consider (not the final one). BUT - then I decided to shine it a little with some friction polish so I could compare it to different wood types to see how they would match, (semi-finished).
In an inane act of abject stupidity, I a) used a shop rag to apply the polish, which then proceeded to catch on one of the many sharp points and apply several nice welts on my arm before I got the lathe turned off, then b) decided that finish didn't look right, so decided to use bees wax, which I applied rather liberally, then buffed with paper towel.
Needless to say, I then spent the NEXT 2 hours, with my $4 drug store reading glasses and a needle, picking ALL the fuzz from the shop rag, fibers from the paper towel, AND unmelted wax from EACH AND EVERY CREVICE ON THE WHOLE PIECE! (NOTE ** Greatly expanded new-found respect for you NE turners!).
Anyway, - some help, please. I don't play chess much, but think this is a bit big. 4 3/4" tall x 2 1/8" at the base. I think it should be turned down to fit a 2" square on the board (which isn't made yet). Also, I think maybe the center curve should be much longer and get rid of the large (what will be beads on the finished piece) ridges before the ball...

Mike Vickery
03-17-2007, 1:46 PM
Nice looking
If you look up their a couple of rules to chess piece size in realtion to the board. If I recall correctly 4 pawns should be able to fit in one square and the king or queens base should be about 75% of the size of the square.

I made a couple chess boards before and 2 inch or 2 1/4 squares are a prety good size. I believe regulation is 2 1/4 but I like the 2 inch better.

Jonathon Spafford
03-17-2007, 3:20 PM
Nice looking
If you look up their a couple of rules to chess piece size in realtion to the board. If I recall correctly 4 pawns should be able to fit in one square and the king or queens base should be about 75% of the size of the square.

I made a couple chess boards before and 2 inch or 2 1/4 squares are a prety good size. I believe regulation is 2 1/4 but I like the 2 inch better.

I don't know that I've played on a board where four pawns can fit in one square. Seems a bit small... but I am not sure about official size. Most of the ones I've played with have all the bases of all the pieces the same size, but the heights of course are different. Most are from 1.5" - 3" average. 75% seems right for the base size except I again usually see the same base size on all pieces. Coming along great though! Like the looks of the pieces!!!! Keep us updated!

Rex Guinn
03-18-2007, 8:50 AM
If you have not made the board yet, just make it to fit the size of your chess men. Who says it should only be one way if it's for your enjoyment.

Paul Engle
03-18-2007, 9:57 AM
Yea, I dont think i would wax due to being handled alot.....:eek: most waxes wont hold up under heavy sweating ......a lot :rolleyes: , urethane would be good for surface protection. as far as the base size pretty much go with default rules sizes. are you going to weight them at all? some heft is ok and some time not.