PDA

View Full Version : PC Nailer/Stapler Combo Kit on Clearance

Paul Fitzgerald
03-17-2007, 12:39 PM
Hey everyone!

I've gone back and read a ton of posts about nailers and staplers, but I'm still a bit stumped. So I hope you all can help. :)

I was at my local Lowes yesterday and happened to see a PC Nailer/Stapler Combo Kit on clearance for about $135. The kit includes:

NS100A 1/2" to 1" 18 Guage Narrow Crown Stapler (about $75 separately)
BN125A 5/8" to 1-1/4" 18 Gauge Brad Nailer (about $70 separately)
FN250B 3/4" to 2-1/2" 16 Gauge Finish Nailer (about $140 separately)
Canvas Carry Bag

It seems to be a really good deal, especially if I was interested in all three guns. It's probably still a really good deal even if I was only interested in the finish nailer.

But I've had my eyes on the BN200A 3/4" to 2" 18 Guage Brad Nailer for the extra length. Since I don't currently own a brad nailer, I'm not sure how often I would need the extra length, but I think 1-1/2" would probably be used most often.

I don't really need a stapler, but the NS100A seems decent, and it would certainly be nice to have. But again, I'm not sure if I would be happier with the NS150A for the extra length.

The FN250B Finish Nailer, on the other hand, would probably be my first choice for a PC 16 Guage Finish Nailer. I think it would be perfect for when I fix the door frame on my back door next month. (The house settled and threw the frame out of square... not to mention the dang wall isn't plumb.)

So to summarize: I like the finish nailer pretty well; the stapler seems okay but I wonder if/when I would need longer staples; and I think the brad nailer is a bit too small.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts!

Thanks,

Paul

Ted Miller
03-17-2007, 1:08 PM
Paul, Its pretty much all you will ever need, I have the same set but from Senco and the only thing I had to add was a cordless 16 ga but what you have there will be fine.

Yes its a great price as well...

Jeff Wright
03-17-2007, 1:28 PM
I also nearly bought those PCs on sale at my local HDepot last week, but after coming home and researching the PC website decided instead to go with the BN200A brad and the larger staple gun . . . JUST IN CASE. THey just arrived yesterday. I have a pin nailer ordered from Grex (the smaller 1 3/8" model). I am not getting a finish nailer since I do so little carpentry work and what little I do I figure I can use the old hammer and countersink method. I built mostly cabinetry and furniture (and will be using a Domino to assemble face frams and carcases).

Rich Engelhardt
03-18-2007, 12:59 AM
the stapler seems okay but I wonder if/when I would need longer staples;
Hello Paul,
Where appearance counts I use brads.
Where strength is needed, you can't beat staples.
I had to buy a stapler to fasten a few wooden shingles and also questioned how often I'd use staples.
Ended up I probably use staples two to one over brads.

Paul Fitzgerald
03-18-2007, 1:51 AM
Good posts so far. Thanks for the help!

Hello Paul,
Where appearance counts I use brads.
Where strength is needed, you can't beat staples.
I had to buy a stapler to fasten a few wooden shingles and also questioned how often I'd use staples.
Ended up I probably use staples two to one over brads.

Do you find 1" is long enough? Or would you suggest stepping up to the NS150A for 1-1/2" staples?

Thanks,

Paul

Charles Cannon
03-18-2007, 6:04 AM
I think that would be a great buy. I do trim work for a living and never use a 18 ga brad longer than 1 1/4. 18 ga brads follow the grain to your finger to well to use them 2 inches long.
Cannon

Rich Engelhardt
03-18-2007, 8:45 AM
Hello Paul,
Depends on what you want to fasten.
I generally use glue & staples in combination where I want maximum holding power without using a clamp.
1" is good for 1/4" to 1/2" stock.
For 3/4" I jump up to 1 1/4" - the max. my gun can take.
For anything over 3/4" I glue/clamp & drill & drive a drywall screw.

The downside to using longer staples is that they often don't go in straight. It may simply be my gun (a cheap Taskforce brand), but I've had more than a few "poke" out on me if I get too near an edge.
I believe if I had a need or use to drive longer staples than 1 1/4", I'd jump up to a 7/16" crown instead of the 1/4".

Refer to what Charles just said above.

As it is though, I've found the staple function of the brad nailer an incredibly handy thing to have around the shop & house - more-so than the brad function. The second leg of the staple holds pieces in place a lot better than a brad does while you're working on them. You can align something, shoot a staple, and it stays pretty much put while you move along. A brad will allow the piece to shift a little.

I had to put up some plywood in a garage two summers ago. It was simply used as a brace to keep the sides from shifting. Still, I wanted it to look somewhat decent and be square to the 2x4 frames. I found that I could easily do it by aligning the plywood and shooting a staple into the top. Then I went back and stapled one corner after slightly moving it to align to the side of the stud.
After it was positioned, I went back and lag screwed the sheet in place.

Two staples held without any problems. With brads, I had to run almost a whole length down the center and do each corner.

BTW - that's an excellent price for the PC combo. I paid more than that for my PC finishing nailer alone.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about duplicating a brad/stapler if it came down to it. I have 3 of them - all 18 ga.

I keep brads in the Craftsman, staples in the Coleman and use either/or in the Tradesman. With quick connects it's simply faster to change guns than it is to change fasteners. It also allows you do dribble some oil into the tool too. I made it a habit to drop a drop in each time I switch tools.

Michael Schwartz
03-18-2007, 12:51 PM
I paid 300 dollars for this kit at Home Depot a few months ago.

The brad nailer is a 1-1/4 inch brad gun, but you do get a 16 gauge 2-1/2 finish nailer for trimwork.

Ken Werner
03-18-2007, 1:04 PM
Hi Paul,
I've got the PC 16 gauge nailer and it is excellent. I also have the 1 1/2" PC stapler, and I used it to side my home. About 10,000 LF of tongue and groove pine [run vertically]. It worked flawlessly. But 1" wouldn't have worked. The price you mention if fabulous. You could by the 3, sell whichever you don't want, and get whatever else you need. FWIW, I don't have an 18 ga. nailer, but do use a 23 pin nailer on some tasks.
Ken

Paul Fitzgerald
03-18-2007, 1:05 PM
I paid 300 dollars for this kit at Home Depot a few months ago.

The brad nailer is a 1-1/4 inch brad gun, but you do get a 16 gauge 2-1/2 finish nailer for trimwork.

This kit does not include the compressor, and was regularly priced at $199.

But it does come with the same stapler, brad nailer, and finish nailer as the set with the compressor.

Paul

Paul Fitzgerald
03-18-2007, 1:12 PM
Thanks for the help everyone!

I think I'll go by there today and see if they still have it and haven't changed the price since I saw it last. If they still have it, I think I'm going to go ahead and take it off their hands. :) It's worth it just for the finish nailer. Oh, and I got a $10 coupon in the mail yesterday, so it's an even better deal. :D

And if the brad nailer and/or stapler prove to be too small, I can always get the BN200A and the NS150A. Then, like Rich said, I won't have to swap out brads or staples all the time -- I can just swap out the guns, which would be loaded with different sized nails/staples.

Thanks again!

Paul

Maurice Ungaro
03-18-2007, 2:46 PM
I hope you get that combo for that price. I bought mine before Christmas for $199, which was a good deal too! I'm building our new house, and with all the trim work, stairs, flooring, etc, I can tell you that this packeage has come in handy!

Paul Fitzgerald
03-23-2007, 9:27 AM
Well, I went back in there last weekend and spoke with one of the sales guys. None of the Lowes in my area stock the PC nailers or staplers anymore and the guy told me it was on clearance because it had been changed to a non-stock item.

Plus, the combo had been sold. :( I said "No wonder it went so quick, it was a steal at $135." Then he told me "Oh, that was a mistake. It was really $179."

Oh well, I should have got it the day it was $135. They might have even honored the price.

Thanks again for everyone's help! I guess I'll be placing an Amazon order pretty soon!

Paul

Paul Johnstone
03-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Hey everyone!

I've gone back and read a ton of posts about nailers and staplers, but I'm still a bit stumped. So I hope you all can help. :)

I was at my local Lowes yesterday and happened to see a PC Nailer/Stapler Combo Kit on clearance for about $135. The kit includes:
Paul

Grab it, the stapler alone is worth 135. If you end up buying another brad gun, that is ok.

The stapler is great for attaching those 1/4" plywood backs to cabinets. It's also great for miscellaneous stuff. When I redid our bathroom, I stapled down some of the metal duct that was coming undone, stapled down the edge of the carpet when the tack strip was removed, etc.

EDIT: Now I see that it's gone.. Oh well, next time, do some impulse buying :)

Kurt Forbes
03-23-2007, 11:04 AM
dang I really got a good deal then. My local lowes had it on clearance for $99

Paul Fitzgerald
03-23-2007, 11:22 AM

Son of a gun! You lucky dog. :D

Paul Fitzgerald
03-23-2007, 11:24 AM
EDIT: Now I see that it's gone.. Oh well, next time, do some impulse buying :)

I'm not so good at impulse buying. It's something I'm working on improving. :D

Paul

Paul Johnstone
03-23-2007, 12:44 PM

Yeah, like you really didn't realize that you had a good deal on it until now. :rolleyes: How long have you been waiting for the opportunity to sneak that gloat in? :)