PDA

View Full Version : Hammer Combo Machines

Jim McGaha
03-17-2007, 11:02 AM
Does anyone have experience with Hammer Combo WW machines from Austria. They are very expensive but look like a very quality machine.
Jim

Todd Solomon
03-17-2007, 12:04 PM
A friend of mine owns the 12" Hammer jointer-planer. It's a fine machine, has the Hammer (same as Felder) quick-change cutterhead, which makes shifting or replacing knives more or less automatic and fast. The surface finish of the wood we planed together was gorgeous- and this was bird's eye maple. No tearout, no snipe, really nice. A bargain at $3K.

I've looked at their sliding table saws and saw/shapers as well, and they look quite nice. They've made a lot of improvements recently, although I haven't used them first-hand.

I think the Hammer is the value leader in euro machines, typically less expensive than Mini Max, and a lot less than the Felders (the high-end machinery that makes Hammer). They have true format-style sliding tables (blade is right next to the slider) with beefy outriggers, and they have riving knives and scoring blades, tilting shapers, and most of the other features found on high-end combo machines.

Todd

Mark Hubler
03-17-2007, 3:03 PM
Here are a few suggestions to help with your search:

1. On Yahoo Groups, users of Felder and Minimax machines have groups. Join both, ask a few questions, do a search.
2. Felder has classes about twice a year, where you can use their machines. If you are close to Sacramento CA, or New Castle DE, it would be worth going to.
3. Ask a Felder Rep., or Minimax Rep, to put you in touch with a local owner of the machine your are interested in. This is a low pressure way to review the machines. These Reps are very helpful, and are members of this board (Hi Mike, Hi Carl).
4. Do a search on my name, I posted a few links to brochures and demonstration movies, a couple of months ago.
5. Go to the AFWS show, in Las Vegas, this July.

Jim Becker
03-17-2007, 9:39 PM
I can't add much to what was already said outside of saying that the Hammer brand represents a good quality machine from a leader in Euro machinery. Although I'm a Mini Max fan and user, I'd not refuse a Hammer machine if one showed up in my shop...although I would hope it would be something I don't already have...LOL!

John Renzetti
03-18-2007, 6:55 AM
Does anyone have experience with Hammer Combo WW machines from Austria. They are very expensive but look like a very quality machine.
Jim

hi Jim, I got a bunch of experience working on them a couple of years ago when I did the demo video on it. I had not been a real Hammer fan up to then, but the changes they made, did change my mind. It's a real good value machine. Best bet is to go take a look at one yourself and decide if this type of machine is for you. During demos it certainly did make some impressive cuts in all the different modes.
One thing a couple of people weren't sure of was the position of the jointer fence at the infeed table. You can get it to flex by applying lateral pressure. However in testing to see if that would affect the cut, I just face jointed a few boards and then edge jointed using more lateral pressure against the fence than i normally would. Checked with a machinist square and the edge was a perfect 90 to the face. I did this in front of about 8 people at one of the open houses I think in April 2005.
take care,
John

Jeffrey Makiel
03-18-2007, 9:29 AM
John,
A Hammer representative sent me a demo CD. Was that you in the video? If so, nice job!

I checked out this machine at a woodworking show in Edison NJ (where I met the Hammer rep) about two years ago. The machine looked like quality for sure, but I too was a bit turned off by the lateral movement of the end mounted fence. However, I understand how it would not harm the squareness of the cut.

My other issue is getting this big boy into my basement shop via the living room and stairs. I'm not a pert as I use to be. :)

-Jeff :)

John Renzetti
03-18-2007, 6:21 PM
John,
A Hammer representative sent me a demo CD. Was that you in the video? If so, nice job!

Hi Jeff, Yes that was me. I want them to reshoot it since I've dropped about 20lbs since that production. :)
The idea of the end mounted fence is so that the machine can be placed against the wall and not have to worry about the bar of a center mounted fence. From a marketing standpoint I'd like to see them add some kind of rigid clamp. It's not really needed but would be a nice added feature.
take care,
John

Jeffrey Makiel
03-19-2007, 7:12 AM
The idea of the end mounted fence is so that the machine can be placed against the wall and not have to worry about the bar of a center mounted fence. John

I didn't realize that. It's important to me that the machine be as compact as possible especially when not in use in my small shop.

thanks....Jeff :)

Jim Becker
03-19-2007, 9:06 AM
The idea of the end mounted fence is so that the machine can be placed against the wall and not have to worry about the bar of a center mounted fence.

I can certainly understand that!! I actually have a hole cut in the wall covering behind my J/P to get the machine 2" closer to the wall...with the fence all the way back (widest available jointing surface), the end of the post is inside the wall. Unfortunately, the concrete block is a limiting zone, so I can only get that 2" of extra space. :D

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-19-2007, 9:40 AM
Jim
I have their 12" J/P and I have their big bed sliding table saw.
I can say this about them: They are supremely good machines, you can't do better for nearly the same money anywhere.

If you have more money and want a heavier machine you can go Felder. Felder has a single phase option.

The main difference between the Hammer line and the Felder line is one of substance. Felders are made so that a team of bruisers can be slamming 100 pound sheets of MDF on them all day every day playing beat the clock.

Hammers will carry all the same weight all day every day just not the abuse that a time clock and employees will heap on the equipment.

The JP comes with a rather nice quick change blade set. No guages needed as the blades have holes bored in 'em to recieve the position locks on the head assembley.
You can get other blades set ups from Felder when you order it. And you can get a shellex from bird

The Hammer J/P has a less sophisticated pressure system than the Felder (no adjustment) but I've had no problems with it.

The Hammer J/P has got only one speed which may - or not - be an issue when mortising.

The motors are strong and produce more actual HP at the cutter than do almost any other.

Do NOT get the full mobility kit. Get only the J bar $80.00 and make your own axles and wheel assemblies.
The machines come pre-bored with a metric sise hole that runs straight through the machine. It takes a 1/2" bar sheathed in a 1/2" copper pipe to which you can affix any 4" plastic wheel. You can lock the wheels with a washer and a cotter pin. You will need some heavy 1/8" sheet steel fabbed onto an angle box or a couple slices of big Angle iron (about 4") to be your little fulcrum point on the machine. Look at the pix in the catalog this is supremely easy stuff to fab up and will save you $$.

Get the Dado arbor and the Hammer Dado cutter is a sweet sweet cutterhead.
And absolutely get the adjustable extension table and the full 8' slider.

Jeffrey Makiel
03-19-2007, 2:14 PM
My Hammer catalog does not give a maximum width dimension. However, the Grizzly website lists their new machine's width to be a whopping 45". Wow.

However, I don't know what that 45" dimension means (beds rotated open for planing, fence retracted all the way back, etc.).

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-19-2007, 2:58 PM
My Hammer catalog does not give a maximum width dimension.

The length of the jointer bed is 54 1/2" long at 12" full width work area.

The planar bed length is 21 1/4" or 24 1/4" I forget which.

Jeffrey Makiel
03-19-2007, 8:56 PM
Cliff,
While you got your measuring tape out. :o What is the approximate overall width of your entire machine? That is, if it's up against a wall, how far does it stand off the wall to the front side of the machine?