PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Planer question

Matt Benton
03-17-2007, 10:41 AM
This is my first post.

I was hoping someone could compare the Dewalt 735 and Grizzly G0477. I'm mainly interested in which is the heaviest-duty and might be the most reliable. Seems like even though the Dewalt is a lunchbox, it may be more sturdy than the Grizzly.

Thanks in advance!

Todd Solomon
03-17-2007, 12:18 PM
Hard to say from the pictures, but the Grizzly G0477 looks like a lunchbox on a stand. I wouldn't personally characterize any planer of this size as heavy duty, but the DW735 is an outstanding piece of engineering. Mine had just outstanding performance. It broke after 3 months of light use, but they've improved the design since then and shipped me the improved version. No problems since, it's still going strong in my friend's shop.

If you're willing to pay $725 for the GO477, you may want to spring for an extra $125 and go for the GO453. That's gonna be more heavy duty than the DeWalt or the smaller Grizzly. The GO453 has a lot of cast iron and beefier construction, as evidenced by it weighing 4X more than the GO477. One trade-off is that it'll be a little harder to set knives on the GO477 than on the DeWalt, unless you spring for the Dispoz-a-blade system, which automatically calibrates the height of the knives.

Todd