PDA

View Full Version : Tips on installing this Table Hinge

Benjimin Young
03-17-2007, 10:02 AM
I will be installing four of these hinges (see picture). I'm going to practice first on some scrap but thought I would throw it out to the group also.

Any lessons learned or suggestions you might care to pass along?

By the way, this is for the sailboat cockpit table project I have been working on. I hope to have some progress pictures soon.

Ben

glenn bradley
03-17-2007, 10:04 AM
I use a forstner bit and chisel the rest.

Mark Singer
03-17-2007, 10:14 AM
There are several ways to mortise this hinge.
First scdibe the patern from the hinge on a piece of 1/2 " plywood and drill out the circle with a forstner bit....go 1/16" over. then cut out the straigt sides on the bandsaw using the fence. ...again 1 /16 " over. Using a template guide and a straight bit in a Colt or other trim router...try it on scrap. If its tight...fair the template with a rasp just a bit until you have a good fit.
Another way is to use a drill press and forstner bit and no router. Drill the circular part....with a chisel and knife scribe and remove the waste in the normal manner
Third way is to match the radus to a gouge....an exact match is not necessary...Screw the hinge to the surface of the piece...using a knife scribe the perimeter over several passes. Remove the hinge...using the gouge tap down around the curve staying just inside...but on the line. Chisel the rest