PDA

View Full Version : 12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw

Jeff Kelley
03-17-2007, 12:14 AM
Want to purchase a 12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw. Looking at Ridgid, Bosch and Dewalt. Any commments good or bad wood be appreaciated.

John Bush
03-17-2007, 12:24 AM
Hi Jeff,I have the DW708, the older model, and it has been a great saw for me. I didn't have any type of cut-off saw before and I find that I use this more than I ever thought I would. I added a LaserKerf and that makes it easier for me as well. Good luck, JCB.

Joe Chritz
03-17-2007, 1:39 AM
Everyone loves the model they have. I have heard good things about all you mentioned and any of them would serve you well.

I have the older Dewalt and it is a workhorse. I crosscut about 200 2x8 SYP treated boards for my wood foundation and it still makes picture frames.

Find a good deal on one and go for it.

Joe

Seth Poorman
03-17-2007, 1:51 AM
Hey Jeff
Just thought I would mention the makita 12" slider, when I worked as a trim carpenter I used a Dewalt 12" but alot of the other guys used Makitas
the makita I used did seem to be better made just by the feel. Just thought I would throw that out there cause Im going to be buying one soon myself...and am leaning toward Makita ,they are however little more expensive.

Cary Swoveland
03-17-2007, 2:25 AM
If you'd like to put the saw against a wall, you might want to consider the Hitachi C12LSH. There is a review of it at:

http://www.woodworking.com/dcforum/dcboard.pl?az=read_count&om=4999&forum=DCForumID5

The review has a link to a short video.

It's the only CSMS I know of that requires no clearance behind. On other CSMSs, rails slide through bearings, meaning that a foot or so of space is needed behind the saw. On this Hitachi the head slides on rails. (Optionally, the head can be locked to the rails and the rails unlocked, allowing the latter to slide through bearings in the conventional way.)

A couple of years ago I had wanted to build a CSMS station against a wall, but the table had to be too deep to be practicable. I therefore went with a relatively compact Dewalt 12" non-slider, and have no regrets. Had this Hitachi been available at the time, however, I may well have bought it. The specs say it will cut a 4x12. I know a finishing carpenter who has a different Hitachi CSMS and he is very happy with it.

Cary