PDA

View Full Version : Picture mat board

James Meagher
03-16-2007, 10:40 PM
I just started experimenting with this and I am getting really black edges after I vector cut them any suggestions on how to get a white look after vector cutting the mat boards

Nancy Laird
03-16-2007, 10:45 PM
James, since vectoring on the laser entails burning, and burning produces black "stuff" (soot, smoke), I don't think there's any way to completely avoid the black. I've seen some posts where the speed of the vectoring is cut waaaaaaay down and people are having decent results cutting paper, mat board, etc., but the very nature of laser cutting is going to produce not-white edges on just about anything you try to cut. I've seen posts where people are cutting paper at anything from .7 to 1% with decent results. I have NOT tried cutting anything of paper, so YMMV. Just my .02.

Nancy

Mike Null
03-16-2007, 11:17 PM
Try reducing your ppi settings.

Dan Luciano
03-18-2007, 10:55 PM
James,

I have had pretty good luck cutting mat board with minimal burning. I'll first state the obvious that you need to have the finished side of the board face down. I can't give you exact power settings but I used the settings recommended in the manual for my 45W Epilog. If I had any residue that I needed to remove check our Americanframe.com for a special eraser block just for mat board. It does not remove as much material as a regular eraser. Reminds me of what we used to use in grade school when doing mechanical drawings. Keep trying. I don't even use my mechanical mat board cutter and I like incorporating names into the border for a great look.

Dan

Mike Mackenzie
03-19-2007, 1:36 PM
James,

I concur with Mike lower your PPI setting use 200 - 250 PPI at most.

We cut mat board all the time and never have had a problem with black or charred edges. (slightly brown is expected)

Joe Pelonio
03-19-2007, 2:04 PM
Same here, I just finished a big pile of it and no charring. Also did some black
foamcore this morning, they were aware of the concave edges but didn't mind, and it cut cleanly other than that.