PDA

View Full Version : One legged table "Captain Ahab"

Mark Singer
12-17-2003, 10:02 PM
I am just finishing this table again... It was a gift to my sister and my nephew slid into it. I had 3 piece to re-glue and with the organic shape I used a Kreg jig . The screws are hidden underneath and don't show.
I used a spokeshave a Nicholson #49 ,50 and some rifflers. The wood is Shedua (Africa) the finish is Tried and True. Wet rubbed to 400 grit.It mounts to a wall on a blind leger. It makes an interesting entry table. As you can see I am still in my organic mind set . Soon I will make something linear....maybe

John Scarpa
12-17-2003, 10:55 PM
Mark, Nice design. I like how it looks suspended and like something that "grew" there. What's next?

Mark Singer
12-17-2003, 11:21 PM
I appreceate your support. I am an Architect and take design seriously... I like to create things I haven't seen. I like challenging myself and my ability to craft my designs. It is far more rewarding for me than building from a plan from a magazine. I don't like repeating myself either...whats the point, unless you are trying to improve on a particular skill. I love making chairs because they require a knowlege of the human form and the traditional skills of mortise and tenon. Chairs require both machines and thorough skill of hand tools. If they are not comfortable...all is for naught. It helps if they look good too
Thanks and I will keep you updated.
Mark

Todd Burch
12-17-2003, 11:35 PM
Mark, a fine looking piece. I haven't used Shedua yet. Kinda looks like domestic black walnut. I like the vertical "backbone" on the leg. It gives strength to what otherwise would be a potential failure point.

Todd.

Lee Schierer
12-18-2003, 9:22 AM
Well, I must admit that I had a different vision of the table in mind when I read the title to your post. Yours is certainly unique. It should make an interesting entry hall piece, certainly a conversation piece.

Don Abele
12-18-2003, 10:18 AM
Mark, that design is amazing. I love the way it flows. Excellent piece. Thanks.

Be well,

Doc

Mark Singer
12-18-2003, 10:27 AM
Don
Thanks,
Mark

Charles McKinley
12-18-2003, 10:57 AM
Hi Mark,

That is a wonderful table. I really like the grain pattern and the table's design. I look forward to more post of your work.

Pete Lamberty
12-18-2003, 11:10 AM
Hi Mark, Beautiful table, I also really like your floor lamp. It's nice to see some different designs. I know who's advice I'll be asking for in the future. Your table reminded me a bit of the type of work that Victor Di Novi does. Very sculpted and natural. Very very nice. Pete

Mark Singer
12-18-2003, 11:36 AM
Pete,
You hit it on the head! Victor di Novi's work is great! I own one of his tables for about 11 years and his work has inspired my more organic designs. I have never copied a piece though...I always try to give it my own character. (unlike the many Sam Maloof chairs you see around..)I have some other pieces I will be showing and I invite your comments. It is obvious you know your stuff!
Thanks,
Mark

Jim Becker
12-18-2003, 3:30 PM
Mark, this table is a very interesting design...one that causes one's head to snap around for a second look. I like that because it combines obvious functionality with real "art". I really do look forward to seeing more of your work as it's thought provoking and stimulating.

Pete Lamberty
12-19-2003, 10:09 AM
Hi Mark, I was thinking of your table again and was wondering what it looked like. Do you see any resemblance to a whales tail? If you or someone else were to make another table like this, a photo of a whales tail might be very thought provoking. Not that I would suggest making it look exactly like a whales tail. It could be a more stylized impression of one. The table top wouldn't even have to be completely flat. It could have the graceful lines/curves of a tail. Also the leg of the table could be upside down, wider at the bottom where it connects to the whales body. Maybe giving the table a visually grounded look. Well those are just a few quick thoughts, not intended, in any way, to criticize the beauty of your table. Pete

Jim Becker
12-19-2003, 10:15 AM
Pete's observations are interesting. I was showing the pics to my wife last night (she was very impressed, too) and she felt that the word "organic" was good, but not complete. Although the leg on the table has some hint of a traditional cabriole design (my initial observation), she felt it was quite indicative of an animal's limb--and felt "alive". But now that Pete brings it up...the resemblance to a whale's tail when you look at the object as a whole is is striking.

Mark Singer
12-19-2003, 10:27 AM
Pete's observations are interesting. I was showing the pics to my wife last night (she was very impressed, too) and she felt that the word "organic" was good, but not complete. Although the leg on the table has some hint of a traditional cabriole design (my initial observation), she felt it was quite indicative of an animal's limb--and felt "alive". But now that Pete brings it up...the resemblance to a whale's tail when you look at the object as a whole is is striking.

Jim,
All traditional furniture legs were inspired by animals throughout tme...Your observation is correct and interesting. If the form gets to whinsical it will become just art and no longer be a table. As Mies Van der Rohe said..."form should follow function"
I try to be careful to make sure it doesnt look like I was on LSD when I made it " OOOH COOL.... MAN.." If you know what I mean
Thanks,
Mark

Jim Becker
12-19-2003, 10:34 AM
Mark, furniture makers like you are great for opening up many of our eyes to things that go beyond the basic or ordinary. Thanks for sharing your outstanding work!