PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning upthe shop!

Mark Singer
12-17-2003, 9:34 PM
I just finished making my closet interior and it is nice to get all that big stuff out and finally feel like I can make someting again! I still have a way to go... Her is my hang out..

Waymon Campbell
12-17-2003, 10:06 PM
Mark - As a fellow new member (just joined today), I'd like to say welcome. What a great shop. Wish I had that much space. Of course, I guess you never have enough.

Waymon...

Dick Parr
12-17-2003, 10:12 PM
Mark, Welcome,

The shop does look nice and as Wymon says, you never have enough spaceh. You are going to have fun getting everything into it's place.

Again, Welcome

John Scarpa
12-17-2003, 10:48 PM
Nice shop from a guy just north of you. Lots of room! I'm still setting up in a garage and should have the wiring done after the first of the year. It might start looking something like a shop then.

Again, nice set up!

Mark Singer
12-17-2003, 11:09 PM
Its taken me a long time . This is my third shop and each has been progresivly larger. I've collected tools for years. I love it and am still learning. Just buy the best you can afford at the time.
Thanks again,
Mark

Todd Burch
12-17-2003, 11:23 PM
OK Mark, fess up. 2 questions:

1) What's with the Stainless Steel chisel/plane chest? I think your chisels would rot before the case they are in! Is that NASA surplus?!

And, more importantly,

2) We need an expose on the wooden machinist chest and the wooden base cabinet. Awesome! Don't tell me your bought them from Gerstner...

And I thought I had a big outfeed table! That's a bowling alley! (Love the saw - got one here!)

Todd.

Mark Singer
12-17-2003, 11:40 PM
Todd,
I am lazy when it comes to making cabinets for my shop..lazy . The stainless steel cabinet is the best thing I've goten recently. It came from Costco and cost $650 after rebate! It is huge and help keeps me organized. My clamps hang on a 2x4 and it actually works good. I would rather make a nice piece of furniture than a clamp rack. The outfeed table is a 4x8 piece of 1" thick MDF on a couple of cabinets I made. Its dead level and also serves as a glue up, and finishing table. The roll up door on the other side allows long boards to start outside and run through the powermatic 66 or my Hitachi *1/2 slider. Thank goodness for the mild California climate...I can work in and out. Dust is not a problem outside.. But basiclly I am lazy... making stuff for the shop.
Thanks,
Mark

Scott Coffelt
12-17-2003, 11:41 PM
Oh yeah, nice shop too. I dream to have that much space.

Greg Daves
12-18-2003, 12:27 AM
What i get a peep of in the other garage. You guys argue over the tools and I'll take the Porche located in the 'car garage'.

GD

Mike Evertsen
12-18-2003, 12:38 AM
that is a great shop,,,what size collector is all that pipe hooked up too?? and size is the jet planer???

Mark Singer
12-18-2003, 1:35 AM
Mike,
The collector is an Oneida 2HP and it sucks! I mean that in a good way. the Planer is the Jet 15" closed base. It works good. I have a General 24" drum sander... that is a real time saver. 2 bandsaws a 20" Agazzani (the best acording to both Sam Maloof and marc Duginske)The other bandsaw is a Jet 14" with a 3/16 blade. a couple of other sanders the Jet spindle and the jet Belt/disc combo. The Hitachi 81/2 sliding saw all that the tablesaw(powermatic) and router table are on the Oneida. It works real well and keeps the shop pretty dust free. For my hand sanders I use a Fein Turbo II auto start vacuum.
I enjoy it and have had a lot lesser stuff over the years and worked up to this.If you are considering buying something run it by me , maybe I can help.
Thanks for asking,
Mark

Mark Singer
12-18-2003, 1:39 AM
Greg,
Sorry I should have closed the door! I call her "la Nina" and she has more HP than all the stuff in the shop combined...not real practical for carrying large boards or plywood though
mark

Bob Lasley
12-18-2003, 8:55 AM
Mark,

Nice hang out! Like the others, I envy the room you have, but am thankful for what I have. Even if I had that much, I would fill it up and want more! I like your projects, especially the one legged table. I did a double-take at first. I'll bet it's a real attention grabber.

Bob

Jim Becker
12-18-2003, 8:59 AM
Ditto all the other nice comments and additionally, that high ceiling is to die for! Nice shop, Mark. And nice work in this and your other posts. Most impressive!

Mark Valsi
12-18-2003, 10:16 AM
Mark,

(what a fine name !)

Where did you get the Wood for the Ahab table ? Anywhere local ??

Mark

in pasadena

Mark Singer
12-18-2003, 10:17 AM
Bob and Jim Thanks,
You should have seen this place a couple of weeks ago. I was redoing the master closet and I had walnut cabinets everywhere and scrap....I felt pretty unsafe. Now all of that is installed and I can breath again. When its clean it makes you want to start a new project. I know you know the feeling. Working safe is important to me and I never get over cofident about a machine and I never get lazy to put on eye protection. I have had a few close calls...but I can still count to ten....knock wood!
Thanks Guys
Mark

Mark Singer
12-18-2003, 10:25 AM
Mark,
I seem to get most of my wood at Austin Hardwood in Santa Ana.The Shedua I bought from a fellow woodworker that was cleaning up his shop. It was nicely figured and I paid about $5 a bf! He said " I know you will make something nice with it... I tried.
Thanks,
Mark

Alan Turner
12-18-2003, 11:34 AM
Mark,
Love your shop. Nice clear space. How long is your bench?
I too have the Agazzani 20" and it is a great tool. I would hve gone for the 24", but I am ceiling challenged. Even so, the 20" is a great resaw, as well as scroller. I put the Carter Guides on mine, hated those Euro's, and the resaw functin is even more accurate.
BTW, nice leg! I have always wanted to do a hall table like that, but we have no place in the house for it, and so far I haven't been able to sell the idea to a client. Maybe someday.

Mark Singer
12-18-2003, 11:42 AM
Alan,
I greatly admire your work! Saw the Queen Anne and left you a note. It is wonderfull! The main workbench is about 90" . It is a Diefenbach from Germany sold out of Colorado. Some of my pieces are big and I need a big bench. The Holdfast's are Marples. They help with odd pieces.
Again ...love your work!
Mark

Tyler Howell
12-18-2003, 11:45 AM
Mark.
Is shop/Garagemahal free standing? On your property? close to your home?
Just nosie?

TJH

Mark Singer
12-18-2003, 11:57 AM
The workshop and Garage occupy one of 4 buildings on my property. I have my studio for architecture a main house and a guest house. They surround a central courtyard. Noise is not a problem the walls are concrete block. If my wife hears something...she thinks it is a good thing ....progress is on going and a new piece is in the works.
Mark

Alan Turner
12-18-2003, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the compliment. That table is one of my very favorite pieces. The family is negotiating over the terms of the will. Sure wish I had room for an 8 or 10 ft. bench. Just did some wide plank, wane edge cherry shelves, and they were from 8/4, some of which was 2.5" thick, and had to hand plane them on one side to feed into the planer. 1/2" from opposite corners on 3 of the 10 footers. A longer bench would have been a godsend for that work. I am giving thought to building a 9 footer, and replacing an existing back bench. I have some 12/4 flame birch that I think would work. Bought out the lumber inventory of a retiring cabinet maker. Much of the wood was older, and therefore better. It was the same fellow from whom I got the old tool chest which I posted in the Neander forum. Seems a shame to use flame birch for a bench, but it is not really my favorite wood. Maybe someone would like to trade for some 12/4 hard maple.
This is still in the thinking stage.