PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid TS3650 Table not true by .006 = OK?

Lance Sones
03-16-2007, 5:56 PM
This is my first table saw and after having gotten to the point in assembly where I've checked the blade and tilt tolerances, I thought I should check the table to see if it was flat. It's not.

The table (not the extensions) is low from approximately the throat to the back, when I lay a straight edge diagonally from the right side front to the left side rear by at least 6 thousandths. It's flat left front to right rear.

What is an acceptable tolerance? If this was your saw, would you keep it.

Lance

scott spencer
03-16-2007, 6:09 PM
Opinions may differ on this Lance, but your wood is likely to move that much from day to day, and I doubt very much that 6 thousandths across the span of the table will have any impact of the quality of your cuts. Blade alignment is a little fussier, but for table flatness that should be fine...likely even within their tolerances.

glenn bradley
03-16-2007, 6:14 PM
I was distressed when a new saw was out by .004" in about the same area you describe. I was educated by the manufacturer who explained their tolerances were .01". I have not had a problem with this variance.

Marc Prudhomme
03-16-2007, 6:20 PM
Lance,
I boght my rigid last week.Did you have trouble flushing up both ends then the middle of the extension wings to the table?Was your manual a little vague on some of the Hardware?
I must of got an old rigid manual because the one on the web site is much clearer and alot differant

Jason Beam
03-16-2007, 7:30 PM
There may be a chance ... although an outside one ... that you might be able to reduce some of this variance. You'd be surprised how much cast iron moves - try loosening the bolts that hold the base to the top and see if that helps any.

If you're daring (or very anal about tuning up your blade's alignment), you could also loosen the bolts that hold the trunion assembly to the table. Truly aligning your blade (at BOTH 90 and 45) perfectly would probably involve doing so anyway.

Lance Sones
03-16-2007, 8:09 PM
...I doubt very much that 6 thousandths across the span of the table will have any impact of the quality of your cuts. ...
So it is written so it shall be :o I'm getting the same feedback from the Ridgid forum.

...an old rigid manual because the one on the web site is much clearer and alot differant...
Agreed. BTW - any relation to the old drag racer, Don?

...their tolerances were .01"...
Seems for a nearly $600 saw their quality control is an oxymoron.

...try loosening the bolts that hold the base to the top and see if that helps any....
I'll give your suggestions a try. Keeping in mind, with my schedule, it's taken me almost a month to get this far in the assembly, I might not be posting back on this issue any time soon.

Thanks all for the replies. I feel better keeping it anyway.

Lance

Lance Sones
03-16-2007, 10:28 PM
Must'a been the day I cut math class.

It's .060 on the feeler gauge. Also, did a quick check a minute ago and it seems to be closer to .080 now. I checked it in the morning when the table was cold(er).

glenn bradley
03-17-2007, 6:39 AM
That's a different story. Since .0625 is 1/16" I would have to say that is a go-back. I mean, we're talking the thickness of a popsicle stick now(!?!). I would just exchange the saw as that is much farther out of spec than I have heard anyone with that saw report here on the Creek. Most everyone here who has the 3650 is quite happy. With a dip like that I'm pretty sure it's just a bad one that made it through QC.

Lou Morrissette
03-17-2007, 12:02 PM
I have a 3650 and it's pretty flat (less than .008 across the entire table).
At .060, I would return it for sure. That much of a dip will give you some real problems with maintaining depths of cut. Very surprising for that saw.

Lou

Brian Dormer
03-17-2007, 2:08 PM
I nearly bought a TS3650, but settled on the Craftsman 22114 last year.

If I recall - the TS3650 has "waffle" tables (not solid) - so their might be more variation than a solid block.

My (solid) tables were WAY flatter than that - I think the worst case I measured was in the .003 range (from the front left to back right), and I was able to shim that down below .002

If you are over .004 or .005 - I would say there is a big enough problem to complain.

Most of the reports on the 3650 are that its a very good saw.

Lance Sones
03-17-2007, 7:14 PM
Thanks everyone.

My neighbor just came by with a straight straight edge, and the tables of by .08.

//edit - ya know, what with the hassle of trying to get service from the droids at Home Depot (you wouldn't believe my story of dealing with them today) and this that and the other, I'm just gonna keep the thing and if I ever get skilled enough to build a Hepplewhite wardrobe - I'll worry about it then.

//ignore the following

Even tho it's more technology than I know how to use yet, I'm going to return it and check the table of the new one in the HD Store before I leave.

James Carmichael
03-17-2007, 10:45 PM
I nearly bought a TS3650, but settled on the Craftsman 22114 last year.

If I recall - the TS3650 has "waffle" tables (not solid) - so their might be more variation than a solid block.

My (solid) tables were WAY flatter than that - I think the worst case I measured was in the .003 range (from the front left to back right), and I was able to shim that down below .002

If you are over .004 or .005 - I would say there is a big enough problem to complain.

Most of the reports on the 3650 are that its a very good saw.

I doubt if solid vs waffle makes much difference. Cast iron can move just like wood if it isn't milled and aged properly.

jim gossage
03-18-2007, 12:01 AM
i would definitely return it. my dewalt had a sag of 0.012 for several inches on either side of the blade. its not a problem if you're ripping a wide panel, but, if you're ripping 6-8" boards for a panel glue up, you'll never get a square edge. if the board is dipping near the blade by 0.010, it will bevel the cut enough to cause a 0.004" gap in your glue up - very noticeable.