PDA

View Full Version : chesnut

Johnathan Bussom
03-16-2007, 5:30 PM
Any good???

Snow blowing the neighbors walk and drive today and he asks if I saw the tree he just cut down, I can have it all if I want but I don't at this time have a decent lathe to turn anything big on but was wondering if I should consider saving it????

What do I seal it with if that is what I need to do!

John

Bernie Weishapl
03-16-2007, 5:39 PM
Yep you can store them. I did that for a long time. I did not have any anchorseal to seal the cut ends so I painted on 2 coats of cheap latex paint. I painted the first coat and let it dry then painted on a second coat. I cut the logs about 4 ft. long and paint the ends. If it does crack I have some wood to work with. I have a couple of logs out back. One is Elm and one is Ash. I painted both ends with latex paint a year ago January. No cracks.

William Fourness
03-16-2007, 5:54 PM
Get the ends sealed up first, then find a skid/pallet, something to get the wood up off the ground but let movement of air through as, try to pick out a protect spot, to help exclude weather and should do just fine. In the summer we hold over a bunch of big non pithed chainsaw slabs on pallets here later to be cut into bowl blanks, or sold as is in a bulk load. Some even winter over. Nothing a little of drying time won't fix. I use only Anchor Seal here. Any other sealers I have no clue about. And yes save all you can if you got room.

Bill

scott spencer
03-16-2007, 6:13 PM
Absolutely. Chestnut is still kind of rare in most of North America, but is making a come back...it'll likely be 5-10 more years before we see lots of it again.

I'd definitely look to salvaging it....might be worth paying a sawyer to cut it into lumber for you.

Johnathan Bussom
03-17-2007, 3:27 PM
Thanks for the replies, now I will have to wait till this 10" of snow we got yesterday disappears so I can get to it.
Talked to the neighbor and he says I can have it all, if not another neighbor will take it for firewood, whooooooooaaa says I!
John Hart would have it out and sealed this afternoon but I'm not as brave to the cold anymore or an eager beaver like John , but then there are a couple years difference between us!

John