PDA

View Full Version : That's a lot of ash

Nicholas Briggs
03-16-2007, 4:20 PM
Got my hands on a good chunk of ash today. Guy said it was Modesto Ash. Never heard of that species. Any who, I don't have room to store all this stuff inside. You guys think it will be OK to sit outside? And is there a different treatment for leaving it outside? I have some "Jasco Termin-8 Wood Preservative Green." Will that do the trick? or should I look for something else?

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/nethowler/DSC_0001.jpg

William Fourness
03-16-2007, 4:50 PM
Get the ends sealed up first, then find a skid/pallet, something to get the wood up off the ground but let movement of air through as, try to pick out a protect spot, to help exclude weather and should do just fine. In the summer we hold over a bunch of big non pithed chainsaw slabs on pallets here later to be cut into bowl blanks, or sold as is in a bulk load. Some even winter over. Nothing a little of drying time won't fix.

Bill

Bernie Weishapl
03-16-2007, 5:44 PM
Nicholas I don't know anything about your wood sealer but like Bill said get those ends sealed quick. When I first started I didn't have any anchorseal so I used some cheap latex paint to paint the cut ends. I put on 2 coats per the advice of another turner. I have a couple of logs cut a year ago January that were painted with latex and still good to go with now cracks.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-17-2007, 6:02 PM
Nicholas, nice haul, definately worth gloating about!:D

Hey by the way guys where's that Steve Ash character been? I haven't seen him around the Abyss for a while. I miss the stuff off his Green Monster.:eek: :)

Don Orr
03-19-2007, 5:33 PM
Nicholas-DO NOT use that Green stuff as a sealer. It is used for treating cut ends of Pressure Treated wood and is NASTY stuff. You want to use a waxy sealer like Anchorseal or maybe some old latex paint on the ends of those logs. Sorry I did not see this sooner.

Nicholas Briggs
03-20-2007, 2:15 AM
Looks like your right Don. :( The ends are already startingn to crack. Is it to late so use something else, or should I still try?

Don Orr
03-20-2007, 12:35 PM
If you can, try to rip them in half lengthwise as they are and seal the ends. You might lose a little to end checking but hopefully will end up with something useful. Ash cracks quickly and you need to get the pith out as soon as possible after it is cut down. You can also turn them green/wet right now to a rough shape and thickness and seal them til dry or turn them all the way to final thinness and let them do what they will. Good practice wood anyway you look at it and the price is right.

Have fun,