PDA

View Full Version : Jig to use planner to face joint boards?

Bob Noles
03-16-2007, 3:48 PM
I was doing some reading at another site and it was mentioned that you can use a planner to face joint boards if using some sort of jig.

Is anyone familiar with this process? Where can I find a picture or diagram of a jig for this? How well does something like this work?

Thanks for any input.

glenn bradley
03-16-2007, 3:53 PM
A search here at the Creek found this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=51308

Works quite well.

Bob Noles
03-16-2007, 3:56 PM
Thanks so much glenn..... exactly what I was seeking.

Alex Berkovsky
03-16-2007, 6:34 PM
Bob,
I am also building a planer sled featured in the FWW magazine linked to above. I ordered a long bungee cord and anti-slip stair tread from McMaster-Carr today for the sled.

Bob Noles
03-16-2007, 6:41 PM
Alex,

Let me know how that works out for you. I may have to look further into the FWW model, but I am going to try the simple route first.

Mike Conley
03-16-2007, 8:34 PM
I use a piece of MDF or plywood that is flat. I lay the board to be jointed on the sled and shim under it with UNO cards where it does not touch the sled. I add a cleat at each end of the board.

I call it my poor man's jointer.

It is really slow to do it this way. I would much rather have a jointer.

Make sure you don't plane the board too much and get into your cleats if you have nailed them to the sled. I have ruined a couple planer knives this way because I was not paying attention to how close the board was getting to the top of the cleat.

Alex Berkovsky
03-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Here's another method that someone wrote about and I have used once.

Rip two 1 1/2" wide strips of plywood as long as the stock you're running through a planer. Wedge the stock level and about 1/2" above a work table. Screw (or hot melt glue) one of the strips to each edge of the stock creating a level base for the stock to ride on.
Run the stock through the planer taking light passes until the top is flat... remove the strips, flip the board and plane the opposite side.