PDA

View Full Version : Shop Vac ?

Chris Jenkins
03-16-2007, 3:07 PM
I use a DC that I use for 95% of all things, but I also have a nice commerical shopvac that I currently store in the utility room. I wheel it out to sweep up the workbench area.

I really don't like wheeling it out and dragging it around.

Has anyone tried using a shop vac like a "cental vac". I was wondering what type of performance I would get if I added about 15' - 20' of 2-1/2" or 3" PVC. This way I could keep this large shop vac out of the way and cords out of the way from tripping over.

Any takers?

Thanks,
Chris

David G Baker
03-16-2007, 3:55 PM
Chris,
I have often thought about doing the same thing. I don't think there would be a problem. The plan in my mind was to make sure that I put in a few clean out fittings to clear a plugged pipe.
I will be watching this thread to see if some real good ideas show up.
David B

Chuck Reeves
03-16-2007, 10:08 PM
My home has a built in central vacuum system. I was not pleased with the performance it was providing. After expensive quotes to upgrade the vacuum canister I decided to try the 5hp shop vac so I "by-passed" the vacuum unit mounted in the basement with the shop vac. What a difference! I was pleasantly surprised. The in wall piping system is a light wall PVC piping 1 1/2" in diameter. Now it works as I felt it should have in the beginning (and Tim Taylor would be proud).

This same arrangement should work well in the shop for dust collection but might clog with chips and shavings. My guess is if you increase the diameter of the piping you would decrease the velocity of the air there again causing clogging. It would be nice to have the vacuum action dust pan for sweep up in the shop as we have in the kitchen.

My shop vac assisted system has approximately 40 feet of horizontal and 18 feet of vertical piping runs.