PDA

View Full Version : Solid wood cabinet from Shedua and Wenge

Mark Singer
12-17-2003, 8:54 PM
This one suspendends between two walls like a bridge and carriys the weight of books inside. The inside is solid wood veneer back 1/4" thick resawn on my Agazzani 20" (a great machine!) The doors are bookmatched and resawn fron 8/4 . Hinges are Brusso knife.

Walt Pater
12-17-2003, 9:04 PM
NICE. But is that wall tile I see all around it? Looks like a tough installation. Howdja do it? Walt P.

Mark Singer
12-17-2003, 10:14 PM
Hi,
I drilled the tile with a masonry bit and attached a Shedua ledger on each side. The cabinet spans about 6ft from wall to wall. I designed it to span...I have a hidden steel strongback under and behind the lower stile. The tile is Gasgone Blue limestone. It worked pretty well. I left the doors a touch long and hand planned them to fit a month after I hung the cabinet to allow for ambient moisture in the room. On really dry days a door might open by itself even though there are ball catches @ the top. It is kind of its personality its expressing.
Mark

John Scarpa
12-17-2003, 10:50 PM
Nice cabinet and a very unique installation. Keep em coming!

Todd Burch
12-17-2003, 11:30 PM
Looks nice mark! Beautiful wood. Is the top all 8/4 wenge or is the front edging just that thick/wide? What finish?

Those are very wide doors for solid wood. Any problems with cupping?

Todd.

Mark Singer
12-17-2003, 11:47 PM
Todd,
The doors are 4/4 solid Shedua resawn from 8/4 for bookmatching. The wood was dry and I was carefull gluing them up. The Wenge top was 4/4 and I thickened the edge by a rip miter and glue from the same piece. I just "dropped it down" so the grain matches.
Thanks for asking,
Mark