PDA

View Full Version : TV for the kitchen? Undercab?

Tony Sade
03-16-2007, 12:30 PM
My wife thinks that it would only be fair, since I have a TV in the shop, to install a TV in the kitchen, where she spends a lot of time. Not a big kitchen, not a lot of space, so I'm thinking of an undercabinet flip down 10" or better flat screen.

I have a Dish TV satellite system so the device would have to be compatible.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Mitchell Andrus
03-16-2007, 1:04 PM
Maybe one of those refridgerators with the TV in the door???? That way, when the next cool shop tool needs buying....

Joe Pelonio
03-16-2007, 1:44 PM
We don't have that issue, because the big family room TV is easily visible from the kitchen.

We noticed the other day that the smaller plasma/LCD ones are not that much less than larger. The Samsung 10" flip top was $399 and some of the 19" & 20" are less than $4350. Have you any space on a wall to mount one? Maybe even hang it from the ceiling?

Al Willits
03-16-2007, 2:38 PM
We're looking to do the same thing, don't think 10" will be a bit small do you, we're thinking 15 or 17", as we have a 13" now and its mimimun size for us.
The LCD's are pretty slim and don't take up much room.

Al

Jim Becker
03-16-2007, 10:04 PM
A small LCD is the way to go, IMHO...whether flip-down or mounted somewhere else. Go wide-screen format "now" and be done with it! Prices have really come down in the past year, too.

Carol VanArnam
03-16-2007, 10:54 PM
I have a tv in my woodshop/garage. I do better woodworking when I have Norm the woodworker on the tv as I'm cutting and building. Think of this, if your wife had a tv in the kitchen she may cook better..... there are a lot of cooking shows....

Jerry Clark
03-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Tony, have you thought about how are you going to feed the kitchen TV when you have DISH-. Are you going to get another decoder or tap into the LR TV? How would you change channels? I know you would not want a decoder sitting on the kitchen counter. :eek: I have a DISH DVR and can change channels from my TV in the garage with RF remote.:D Also great for music. Just wondered if you have thought about it.:)

Tony Sade
03-17-2007, 9:29 PM
Tony, have you thought about how are you going to feed the kitchen TV when you have DISH-. Are you going to get another decoder or tap into the LR TV? How would you change channels? I know you would not want a decoder sitting on the kitchen counter. :eek: I have a DISH DVR and can change channels from my TV in the garage with RF remote.:D Also great for music. Just wondered if you have thought about it.:)

Jerry-I'll probably switch the single receiver I have in the back room (to which I added a splitter so I can feed the TV in the garage/shop), to a dual receiver so I don't have to put a receiver in the kitchen. I also have the dual DVR unit for the family room and our bedroom.

I think I'm leaning to a smaller LCD unit (15" or whatever fits on the counter and under the cabinets) for the kitchen and will forget about a flip down version. Too much to go wrong I imagine.

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks.

Cheers,

Larry Conely
03-18-2007, 8:32 PM
We have a small 12" flat acreen in the kitchen. It is mounted on an articulating arm and can be repositioned to be seen from anywhere in the kitchen, or folded flat against the wall. I put a junction box and cable port behind the TV to hide the wires.

Works great.

Larry