PDA

View Full Version : Lamp

Mark Singer
12-17-2003, 8:47 PM
I made this using a spokeshave , rasp, and sander. The finish is 4 coats of "Tried and True"

John Scarpa
12-18-2003, 12:25 AM
Mark,
An interesting design again! Gotta ask about the lamp shade though. Did you comission it or find that some where? It looks like you were echoing the base of the lamp for balance, but finding that had to be tuff.

Mark Singer
12-18-2003, 1:21 AM
Thanks John,
A woman made it to my specs in LA
Mark

Tom Gattiker
12-18-2003, 8:50 AM
Looks great. What is the joinery/assembly for the base

Lee Schierer
12-18-2003, 9:15 AM
That is awsome looking. Great job showing off the wood.

Don Abele
12-18-2003, 10:26 AM
Mark, another fantastic flowing piece. I love it.

Be well,

Doc

Eric Sanford
12-18-2003, 5:20 PM
Mark, I've enjoyed the "Tour" of your projects - you've done some beautiful pieces! Looking at the base of this lamp, I wonder how you dealt with potential wood movement, because it looks like you have grain going in different directions. I'd love to try something with this kind of shaping, but haven't figured out how....yet :)

Eric

Mark Singer
12-18-2003, 8:38 PM
Hi ,
Eric and Tom
The long shaft of the lamp was 1 piece, I ripped it in half, dadoed one side for the cord (1/2"x!/2") and glued it back together. Using 1 piece the grain matches exactly. Then I joined it to the main base piece that is horizontal. Then I staggered "stacked" lamination of walnut blocks. The key is they must be square and tightly butted to the adjacent pieces. If they are not, you will have voids and filling them is unsightly. You may need to do a couple at a time until the glue dries. The blocks together make a monolithic block that is very rough but larger and in the general mass of the final form. Then it is spoke shave on the shaft. An angle grinder (Makita) with 36 grit then 50 grit will workon the base and transition. Please use a face sheild, the sanding disks can break and fly off! Then Nicholson Rasp, rifflers, etc. A 5" Random orbital w/60 grit then finer eventually to 320. I like the man made abrasive pads they conform to these curvy shapes. Wood movement is not an issue ...the pieces are small. We all seem to have different finishing products we like...this has Tried and true oil. Try somthing small first, you may surprise yourself...
Mark

Eric Sanford
12-19-2003, 11:58 AM
Thanks, Mark!

Pete Lamberty
12-19-2003, 1:58 PM
Hi Mark, I sent you a private message. Please read at your convience. You can click on the words Private Messages to get there. They appear just under and to the right of your name near the top of the page. Pete

Jason Tuinstra
12-19-2003, 2:24 PM
Mark, you sure are "lighting" it up around here! Thanks for all the posts of your excellent work. Very nice pieces.

Jason

Mark Singer
12-19-2003, 4:28 PM
Hi Mark, I sent you a private message. Please read at your convience. You can click on the words Private Messages to get there. They appear just under and to the right of your name near the top of the page. Pete

Pete,
Thanks for your private message. I appreciate your thoughts and anything I write here is to encourage allof us to do our best...to look beyond the obvious and reach a bit and that works at every level. I support your architectural pursuits and would be glad to answer any questions in that field. I don't have too much time today and I type lousy.
I will try to give you a better response soon... The Farnsworth house is a masterpiece closets or not ....I should be that good!
Mark