PDA

View Full Version : The wood that defines "USA"

Rick Smith
03-16-2007, 11:31 AM
I realize that this might generate as many responses as there are members... but I am trying to determine the wood that the USA would be most known for. Requirement is that it be a "light" (color) wood.

I have decided to embark on what might be a massively aggrevating, frustrating project: A chess set for USA/Australia. The Aussie side I have chosen Banksia Nut for the pieces, and am thinking dark eucalyptus for the dark squares and some of the trim.

I need to decide what wood to use for the USA pieces and light squares...

ANY suggestion is appreciated! Thanks in advance...

George Conklin
03-16-2007, 11:50 AM
My first thought was cherry, but your requirements state that the wood needs to be light in color. I guess that rules out cherry since it will darken over time.

Keith Burns
03-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Maple.......

Al Wasser
03-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Give one of the forestry profs at the Univ of Idaho a call. I would suspect that your choice would be a species that grows only in the US, perhaps redwood or sequoia or maybe a tree that is widespead in the US. It's been too long since I took forestry classes. You have an interesting project. Let us know the decision

George Tokarev
03-16-2007, 12:02 PM
For the west, probably bigleaf maple. For the east, sugar maple. Both are handsome, easily turned, and fairly unique. Of course you might want to try eastern white pine, a wood we've exported ever since the days of sailing ships. It's a well-behaved as any of the Pinus species, and generally free of continual resin-bleed.

Rick Smith
03-16-2007, 12:14 PM
because of the early sailing history... but thought it might be too "soft", with more likelyhood of "denting" with any amount of play... Maybe a strong surface finish?

Randy Johnson
03-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Maple
Specifically tiger maple.
I'm not a furniture expert by any means but it seem like all the tiger maple furniture that shows up on the road show was made on this side of the pond. It is also the wood most often associated with the Pennsylvania/Kentucky rifle.

Kurt Rosenzweig
03-16-2007, 12:18 PM
How about some American Holly? Just sliced up a nice 28" one with no staining. Nice and white. I'm getting ready to put it in my solar kiln I just finished building. If you wanna hunk let me know.

Nancy Laird
03-16-2007, 12:25 PM
I concur with maple or holly - in fact, for your purposes I'd lean toward the holly.

Nancy

Gary Herrmann
03-16-2007, 12:28 PM
First thought that popped into my head was apple. Its not as dark as cherry, but I don't know how light it needs to be.

Neal Addy
03-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Yep... Maple.

George Tokarev
03-16-2007, 12:44 PM
because of the early sailing history... but thought it might be too "soft", with more likelyhood of "denting" with any amount of play... Maybe a strong surface finish?

None that I know of. The dent would exceed the elastic limit of the finish and make a chip. Go bare and let 'er dent or oil only.

Interestingly enough, NIP was originally touted as a replacement for pine masts and spars, but proved to weak, breaking rather than denting!

John Hart
03-16-2007, 1:07 PM
I would say Maple....'cept Canada has a big ol' leaf on their flag. For that reason...I'd have to vote Holly.

Jonathon Spafford
03-16-2007, 2:14 PM
I probably would cast my vote with tiger maple! Beautiful wood!!! Holly would be a good choice too though. Make sure that we get pix of the process... the more pictures the better ;)

Doug Shepard
03-16-2007, 2:15 PM
I would say Maple....'cept Canada has a big ol' leaf on their flag. For that reason...I'd have to vote Holly.

My thoughts too. Holly or maybe Oregon Myrtle.

Brian McInturff
03-16-2007, 2:37 PM
Well, if you read here, http://forestry.about.com/od/treeandforestcelebration/a/oak_us_tree.htm
You will see that Oak is the National tree. So I guess maybe white oak.
Brian