PDA

View Full Version : Long distance gloat

Ken Milhinch
03-16-2007, 7:51 AM
When my PM2000 was delivered over a month ago, the rails were found to be faulty, so I have been unable to use my lovely machine - until today that is ! The new rails were delivered yesterday, along with several other things I have been waiting on. I have recently expanded my workshop, so I had to put something in there didn't I ?

A new Jet 1442VS lathe, a Jet 1.5HP shaper and a Jet OSS (still in the box) were just the thing to fill those empty spaces. The trick now is to learn to use the lathe without killing myself. In all my years of woodworking, I have never actually used one, so school is in now.

Tyler Howell
03-16-2007, 8:19 AM
Nice set up Ken!:cool:
Congrats

glenn bradley
03-16-2007, 8:53 AM
Glad the parts showed up. You're going to have a very nice workable setup there.

Don Bullock
03-16-2007, 9:20 AM
Congratulations Ken. That's quite a collection of new equipment. You can make plenty of sawdust now.

As for the lathe, if I can use one, I'm sure you can. It's not as difficult as it looks. I do recommend, however, that you get some instruction from someone experienced with a lathe before you use it. Perhaps you have a friend or you can take a class. As with any tool it's all about the best techniques and safety. Speaking of lathe safety, I may be wrong, but perhaps the placement in front of the window isn't the best. If you should happen to shatter a piece that you are turning parts of it might break the window. I'm sure those who are much more experienced with lathes will correct me if I'm wrong.

Brett Baldwin
03-16-2007, 3:24 PM
Hey Ken, it looks like you are well set now. Congrats.
Your lathe next to the window will be good for light but may be a bad thing if a piece lets loose. You might think about some plexiglass over the window if that is where it wil reside.

Jim Becker
03-16-2007, 6:37 PM
Congrats, Ken!

Ken Milhinch
03-16-2007, 7:34 PM
Thanks Don & Brett, your advice about the window is a point well taken. I thought of light but not the potential mishap. A sheet of plexiglass should do the trick.

Charles Jackson III
03-16-2007, 8:55 PM
Nice set up Ken!