PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
03-16-2007, 6:59 AM
Friday March 16th, 2007

"March Madness" is upon us. While the Badgers haven't looked too good the last couple of regular season games, I'm hoping they'll make it at least to the "Elite Eight".

After a glorious week of 40's, 50's and even a 63 degree day, I awoke to a light dusting of snow this morning. :( UGH!!! All the previous snow is gone, save for the piled snow banks, and I'm sure this dusting won't be around long. It is the first day of spring Tuesday the 20th. :)

The only thing I'm sure of this weekend is I'll be watching some B-Ball, maybe some golf from Arnie's place in Florida, and the races from "HOTLANTA".

So what's on the table for the weekend??? I would think some of you further south than me would be getting to the outside and preparing the homestead for summer. :D

Whatever's on the agenda, make it fun and make it safe.

Karl

Tyler Howell
03-16-2007, 7:55 AM
Morning Karl.
In town this week with a long punch list on the home remuttle.
Going to throw something on the grill and have the whole Fam Damily over.
Going to the MPLS car show. My PU Just turner 100K yesterday. Works and looks great but I gotta plan ahead:o .
Be safe. Have fun

David Wilson
03-16-2007, 8:15 AM
Good morning Karl.
The contractors should finish up on the shop addition today so I will be doing insulation and interior walls. Can't wait for this project to be done.
Volunteers welcome.

Tim Malyszko
03-16-2007, 8:50 AM
On Saturday morning, I'm running the the 5 mile St. Patty's Day race in downtown St. Louis. Once that's done, I have the fun and enjoyable task of power washing my cedar deck for the first time since building it last summer.

Then, if things go as planned, I will have the extra enjoyment of sealing my new cedar deck on Sunday using a couple of cans of TWP. Woo Hoo!!! Anyone want to join me in this o' so fun escapade?:confused: I love the look of a cedar deck, but hate the maintenance.

If I have any time left, I will be in front of the TV watching some basketball. On a side note, I was suppossed to be in Vegas right now, but work was too busy to get away for a few days. The worst part about it is that the customer I'm doing the work for is now in Vegas. I was suppossed to be there with him, but you know how that goes.

Fred Voorhees
03-16-2007, 9:12 AM
Well, since I had carpal tunnel surgery this past Wednesday, I'm limited as to what I can do around here for a week or so. I did manage to get into the wood shop yesterday to do some work on the current platform bed project (cabin fever I guess - stir crazy prevention:D ). The weather here right now is questionable with some wet snow and sleet and rain falling and gee, I hope it doesn't accumulate since my snowblower will not find me behind it for this one. Might have a visitor on Saturday to buy something I had advertised on Craigs list. Sunday will find the crowd over for the weekly NASCAR race. Other than that, there "ain't" much doin.

UPDATE - the level of "stir Crazy" got to me and I ended up going out and clearing the driveway anyway with the snowblower. Wife ain't to happy about it, but hey.........the driveway is clear..........for now.;)

Al Willits
03-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Nothing special for me, ordered the last of the computer parts for Beasty's comp and am waiting for them.
Gonna be cleaning the garage after the CD cabinets, and have decided to make one more storage cabinet before the kitchen cabinets, this one will be about 6' tall and 3' wide, ought to be fun.
Gonna use "real" plywood on this one.
Now to figure out whether a 5.5' by 1.5' set of doors is doable...:)
Might try the euro hinges this time.

Al

Doug M Jones
03-16-2007, 10:46 AM
No shop time for me this weekend.

My nephew's basketball team is in the Iowa state finals so we are headed to Des Moines to cheer them on. The kid is 6' 9" and 245#, scored 32 points and had 13 boards in last nights semi-final. He accepted a scholarship to Indiana State. Any Sycamore fans out there?

Sunday I am taking the middle school Sunday School class I teach out for a movie and pizza after church.

Might be able to sneak a little time in the shop in the latter part of the day.:p

Stephen Clem
03-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Saturday I am taking my band saw, bench top belt sander, drill press, and other stuff to my church for the AWANA Grand Prix car making workshop! They are those little cars you make from a block of wood, about 2" x 10" I think. I've never made one, but I remember a post on here a while back about them. I am taking my 6 year old son with me. It should be a nice Saturday.

I am also working on a bookcase. I already cut all the boards to size. Last night I made the curved cuts on the sides, made the dadoes for the shelves, and rabbeted the back of the sides for the rear plywood. It was the first time I used a router without it being in a table setup. I had to because the pieces were too big for the table. I used my $20 Harbor Freight Trim Router for the Dadoes so I wouldn't have to take my regular router out of the table. It worked very well! I used a 3/4" straight bit and cut 1/4" deep in one pass with no problems. Granted it is choice pine, but I was still impressed. Hopefully this weekend I will have time to finish it, (I'll be sure to post Pics!). I have been researching about staining Pine, apparently I'll need some pre-stain conditioner.

Dan Lyke
03-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Finish up two detachable handrails with flush mounted receivers for a narrow staircase (That 200lbs in any direction that code requires has been an interesting engineering experience, the stack of 8 laminated plates into which the recessed bed hooks bolt needs to be pulled out of glue-up), sand and re-start finishing on a table where the first coat of poly bloomed and blistered (don't know yet if it was finish incompatibilities or outside pollen), route groove for the mane in the rocking horse (http://www.flutterby.net/Rocking_Horse) that I'm building for my nephew, and replace the weather seal on the bottom of our front door.

And get some exercise...

Matt Meiser
03-16-2007, 1:13 PM
We are headed over to Indiana for an antique tractor show tomorrow. Probably will spend some time in the shop tomorrow.

Tony De Masi
03-16-2007, 1:59 PM
That of course being the woodworking show in Chantilly, Virginia. Going on all weekend starting today.

Tony

Charles Wilson
03-16-2007, 2:55 PM
Shoveling snow. :(

Chuck

Dick Aubochon
03-16-2007, 4:43 PM
Shoveling snow. :(

Chuck

Looks as if I'll be doing the same thing here in Camden, Maine.

Eric Wong
03-16-2007, 6:53 PM
While the Badgers haven't looked too good the last couple of regular season games, I'm hoping they'll make it at least to the "Elite Eight".

Oh man, Karl, you almost jinxed us!! Luckily we had a much better second half than first. As a native Wisconsinite here in Denver, I was pulling my hair out for a while there!

Bob Nelson
03-16-2007, 8:45 PM
Assembling and playing with my new Leigh FMT.

Greg Deakins
03-16-2007, 9:54 PM
On Saturday morning, I'm running the the 5 mile St. Patty's Day race in downtown St. Louis. Once that's done, I have the fun and enjoyable task of power washing my cedar deck for the first time since building it last summer.

Then, if things go as planned, I will have the extra enjoyment of sealing my new cedar deck on Sunday using a couple of cans of TWP. Woo Hoo!!! Anyone want to join me in this o' so fun escapade?:confused: I love the look of a cedar deck, but hate the maintenance.

If I have any time left, I will be in front of the TV watching some basketball. On a side note, I was suppossed to be in Vegas right now, but work was too busy to get away for a few days. The worst part about it is that the customer I'm doing the work for is now in Vegas. I was suppossed to be there with him, but you know how that goes.

I dont wanna help you with that stuff, but I'll give you a little advice, having built a good number of cedar decks...
You dont need to treat a cedar deck at all, unless you wanna keep it looking new. Otherwise, it will turn silver and stay in good shape for years and years.
But if you are going to anyway, set the washer low, or you could eat the wood with it, then put off applying the seal till it has had a good three dry days to dry out, or you will be wasting your time. I'd imagine the acronym you gave was for Thompsons, which is inferior. I'd go with Penofin, you can get away with up to three years in between applications. There is also a product like penofin, released recently, that doesn't carry the odor that Penofin does. The name escapes me. But again, most people like the natural petina of cedar as it turns silver, and there is no harm done. Hope this frees up some time for the shop for ya!

Jim Becker
03-16-2007, 9:58 PM
Well...it appears that part of my intended shop time is going to be taken up by clearing "snow"...course granular stuff...so Professor Dr SWMBO's Prius doesn't have to live down at the bottom of the driveway where it currently is shivering in the cold. Sheeh...79º three days ago. 30º tomorrow.

At any rate, I do intend shop time and that will be spent working on the "router/shaper" station on my slider as well as some other project work. I would have liked to do some finishing on the hall table and the cherry mirror, but the temps are going to torpedo that. Oh, we also have to look at yet one more camp on Sunday for the younger so we can make a decision post-haste before it gets even more expensive than it already is...

John Miliunas
03-16-2007, 10:26 PM
"Leaving on a jet plane..." on down to FL to pickup daughter. Then it's "..on the road again...". 1500 miles planned for the next 3 days or so. Hope everyone has a great weekend! :) :cool:

Guy Germaine
03-17-2007, 7:10 AM
Put the first couple of coats of shellac on my Demilune table early this morning.

We'll be heading over to downtown St. Louis later on this morning to march in the St. Patrick's Day parade with the Newfies. That's always fun because a LOT of people have heard of the dogs, but have never seen one. We spend a lot of time (as much as we can without slowing the parade) letting people pet the dogs and answering questions about them.

After that, I think I'll come back home and spend a couple of hours checking my eyelids for holes. :D

Steve Campbell
03-17-2007, 9:49 AM
Well today I have the privilege of going out to lunch with a sweet young lady. We get together a couple times a month and go out somewhere for a brunch or a movie. She is actually my daughter and we always have a good time.

My grown son is getting into woodworking now on Sunday I am going to his house for Sunday dinner. I am bringing a used Craftsman tablesaw that I bought for him. He has a benchtop saw someone gave him. It doesn't have a miter gauge or rip fence. He was going to buy a fence for it and try to find a miter gauge that would work with the unstandard miter slots. I figured I would help him out and get him something he could build something with. I know a lot of guys don't think much of Craftsman saws but it will do for now. It is an older one.

Looks to be a great weekend. Thanks for asking

Steve

Andy Haney
03-17-2007, 9:22 PM
Before games started today I picked up some MDF, and between games (can you do that?) built the better part of a 3' x 5' torsion box. Guess I NEED a TV in the shop.

I'll mill some hardwood pieces for the edges tomorrow. My intent is to have something to put on sawhorses or other temorary stands for glue-ups and other reasons I may need a flat surface. Hope this works...the temp tables I've used in the past don't yield the best results.

Andy Haney