PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Sea Chest

Jody Malinich
03-15-2007, 11:48 PM
Been really busy latlely. I finally finished this cherry and maple chest. Only 11 more to make. This was the first one I did dovetails on, was pleased with them. The Leigh jig is great. I also redesigned the top insides to make it easier to install. It was so simple to do, I kicked myself for not doing it months ago. It is a simple frame with a 3/4 groove that holds the maple triangles and the glass. The top was lasered in three steps as it was too wide for the Helix. We removed the front off the laser and did an end, rotated it and did the other, then used a platform to hold it above the rulers and did the center. Was pain but the larger chests seem to be the "flavor of the month" for us. I stopped using the 95 degree stop hinges as the lids tend to get a bit heavy, I replaced them with regular hinges and added two decorative stop blocks on the back with felts pads on them. These blocks were cut at 15 degrees and placed with the long end toward the hinges. Works great and alot better than having the top go crashing backwards.

Comments are always welcome.

Jody

Reg Mitchell
03-16-2007, 12:45 AM
Jody that is a very nice piece of work. Some one would be very pleased to have that
Reg

Dan Oliphant
03-16-2007, 12:45 AM
Very nice chest. Well thought out and executed.

Glenn Clabo
03-16-2007, 6:47 AM
GREAT job Jody...love the top...

glenn bradley
03-16-2007, 8:50 AM
Looking good!

John Timberlake
03-16-2007, 9:35 AM
Great job. Is this a retirement present?

Jody Malinich
03-16-2007, 9:55 AM
This is for another retirement next week down in Georgia. I'm working on an oak one today, also for a retirement next week. This one will be hand delivered as I have a business trip down in the Norfolk area next week. I really enjoy seeing the reaction of the person recieving the item and comments from the guest at the retirement ceremony. If you ever get the chance to go to a military retirement, drop whatever you had planned and go. It is such an emotional event, I didn't have a ceremony when I retired and everytime I get to go to one I regret not doing one.

Jody

Roy Wall
03-16-2007, 11:03 AM
Jody -

The chest is FABULOUS!!! A tremendous gift and beautiful work....

Zahid Naqvi
03-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Wonderful, love the engraving. I presume it is laser.

Jerry Olexa
03-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Excellent work...well done.

Ralph Okonieski
03-16-2007, 12:19 PM
Beautiful work. A real pleasure to view.

John Timberlake
03-16-2007, 12:24 PM
This is for another retirement next week down in Georgia. I'm working on an oak one today, also for a retirement next week. This one will be hand delivered as I have a business trip down in the Norfolk area next week. I really enjoy seeing the reaction of the person recieving the item and comments from the guest at the retirement ceremony. If you ever get the chance to go to a military retirement, drop whatever you had planned and go. It is such an emotional event, I didn't have a ceremony when I retired and everytime I get to go to one I regret not doing one.

Jody

Very nice of you to make these for those retiring from the military. All those who serve that long deserve all the recognition they can get. Keep it up.

Dave Ray
03-16-2007, 12:55 PM
Jody, that chest is a work of art. Like you I have been to many military retirements, but never had one myself. At the time the ship was preparing for a big inspection and a cruise, so I felt was not a good idea. The guys were over worked already. I like the way you incorporated changes into the design, made the chest much better.