PDA

View Full Version : four sisters & three amigos

Jeffrey Fusaro
03-15-2007, 10:53 PM
i call these four cherry bowls "the four sisters", since they came out of the same log. the log was about 9" - 10" in diameter and about 24" in length. i cut the log in half and then split the halves down the middle with a wedge, since i didn't have a saw that would do the trick. the resulting sections were all different sizes and rather irregularly shaped since they were split and not cut.

i mounted and rough turned two right away, and set them aside to dry in a box of wood chips. the other two halves sat on my shop floor for about a month before i did anything with them. as a result, they had some gnarly stress cracks. they were probably ready for the burn pile. i was kinda mad at myself for letting them get that way, so i decided to make them work, no matter what. after i rough turned them, i used a good bit of CA to seal the cracks and then proceeded with finishing. the cracks are visible, but i call them 'character' lines. like all families, each member has their share of flaws. i used a similar rim design on all four bowls to enhance the familial resemblance.

all four bowls were finished with three coats of antique oil and two coats of renaissance wax. no buffing - just elbow action.

all four bowls are approximately 7" in diameter. the shortest is 2" tall. the tallest is 3.25" tall.

==========

in between the sets of bowls, i took some time to work on some pencil kits to break up the action.

these are all artist sketch pencil kits from craft supplies. i call them "the three amigos". no particular reason - it just sounded funny when i thought of it, so the name stuck. i always order one kit and two extra brass tubes thinking that i will trash a tube or turn some wood that i end up not liking in the process. didn't happen. all three tubes turned out to my liking, so i ordered two more kits to finish the trio.

from left to right - bolivian rosewood, kingwood and east indian rosewood.

all three are finished with three coats of antique oil and two coats of renaissance wax.

please feel free to comment.

thanks for looking.

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2007, 11:55 PM
Jeffery the bowls are beautiful as are the pens. I love those bowls. Nice form and finish. Nice job.

Barry Stratton
03-16-2007, 1:14 AM
You have been BUSY! Great job on all of them!!!

Jonathon Spafford
03-16-2007, 3:15 AM
Beautiful... those bowls are super nice! They shapes are so simple, but the finish looks so nice and the curves look perfect that they make me want to pick them up! The pens are also beautiful! You did an excellent job!

Tony De Masi
03-16-2007, 7:34 AM
Beautiful job Jeffrey. I love working with Cherry too.

Tony

Christopher K. Hartley
03-16-2007, 7:46 AM
Jeffrey, This is a beautiful set of bowls. I like the thickness and different edge treatments with the similarity that makes them a set. You've also done a great job on the finish, they have a real rich depth to them. A+!!:) The artists pencils are well done as well and a nice selection of woods.

jeremy levine
03-16-2007, 8:15 AM
Jeffrey, This is a beautiful set of bowls. I like the thickness and different edge treatments with the similarity that makes them a set. You've also done a great job on the finish, they have a real rich depth to them. A+!!:) The artists pencils are well done as well and a nice selection of woods.

This is the second time today that your comments perfectly expressed my feeling ...weird :eek:

Paul Engle
03-16-2007, 9:40 AM
Nice job on all the items Jeffrey, I like the rim treatment and especally the larger bowl ( well it looks larger anyway) nice job and you are right , we do not have to buff everything out, I only do it on customer request and they usually say " naw , I like what you've done " , same goes for you , "I like what you done ". I really like the pens , I have some kingwood and EIR and can't wait to turn em.

George Conklin
03-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Love the bowls, Jeffrey.
Cherry is my favorite to turn. I really like the thickness, rim treatment, forms... Shoot! What isn't there to like?
Nicely done:) .

Jeffrey Fusaro
03-16-2007, 9:50 PM
thanks, guys! i appreciate the kind words!