PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt DW735

Shannon Odam
03-15-2007, 10:05 PM
Does the DW735 not come with outfeed tables? What is the best 13" planer?

Thanks
Shannon35

glenn bradley
03-15-2007, 10:15 PM
He's the bomb in the lunchbox division and no he doesn't, but you will want to get them or build your own solution.

Craig D Peltier
03-15-2007, 10:27 PM
From what I have read the ridgid is a great machine for much less, $350 or so. From what I have read about the de walts is the infeed roller sticking and also many cases of a screw/bolt coming loose on the inside an getting shot into the gear an causing damage. The ridigd does have infeed an outfeed table and a stand an extra blades.

Bruce Benjamin
03-15-2007, 10:44 PM
I have had the DW 735 for several years now and it's performed flawlessly. The Ridgid may be a good machine too, or so I've read. But your statement about, "Many cases..." doesn't sound right at all. At best I'd say a few cases. I have been reading this and a few other WW forum for quite a while now and I have only seen any problems similar to this mentioned maybe a few of times at the most. Definitely not, "Many cases". When you have a machine that's as popular as the DW735 you're bound to have a problem here and there. From what I have read, nearly everyone who buys the DW735 is very happy with it and most agree that it outperforms all other lunchbox planers. Every review either online or in magazines that I've ever seen has placed it at the top of the pack.

Bruce

From what I have read the ridgid is a great machine for much less, $350 or so. From what I have read about the de walts is the infeed roller sticking and also many cases of a screw/bolt coming loose on the inside an getting shot into the gear an causing damage. The ridigd does have infeed an outfeed table and a stand an extra blades.

Rob Bodenschatz
03-15-2007, 10:51 PM

I have never heard of that happening. I have the DW735 and am very happy with it.

BTW, I paid $335 for it reconditioned.

Rick Moyer
03-15-2007, 11:02 PM
I was leaning toward the Delta 22-580 because it was between the Rigid and the DeWalt both in price and performance. The Rigid got Best Value reviews and the DeWalt got Best Tool reviews but the Delta was close (in my opinion) to the DeWalt for substantially less. In the end, I got a great deal on a practically new Dewalt for less than the Delta would have been, although I haven't used it yet. The early DW735 had some feed problems (sprockets) but DeWalt has responded to that issue.

One other point: I thought I would store the planer under my bench and set it on the bench when needed. It's too darn heavy to be doing that very often. I eventually opted for the DW7350 mobile stand and have since bought another one for my bench-top drill press as I liked the stand so much. It is quite easy to roll around the shop.

Jesse Thornton
03-15-2007, 11:10 PM
One of the most consistent complaints about the DW735 is lousy blade life, which I've found to be a problem too. On clean, clear wood, I've seen the blades go from producing a mirror like finish to having several little nicks in no time flat. To Dewalt's credit though, they sent me a fresh set of blades no questions asked when I complained about it.
Otherwise, it's performed flawlessly.

glenn bradley
03-15-2007, 11:24 PM
I notice Infinity Tools (and maybe others) are now making DW735 knives. Kudos to DW for sending you a replacement set.

Dave Falkenstein
03-16-2007, 12:54 AM
I looked at an upgrade to my portable planer not long ago and became convinced that the DW735 was the right decision. The only consistent issue I have read about is knife life, and I understand that Dewalt has come out with new knives that resolve that problem. Here's the site where I bought mine - current price is $435 after rebate:

http://www.tools-plus.com/dewalt-dw735.html

ps - Buy the tables, even though they are an accessory item.

Craig D Peltier
03-16-2007, 2:13 AM
What I read was on HDs site and it was for the DW 733 and also on epinions.Im glad they have fixed the problem with the newer models.
I have had the DW 735 for several years now and it's performed flawlessly. The Ridgid may be a good machine too, or so I've read. But your statement about, "Many cases..." doesn't sound right at all. At best I'd say a few cases. I have been reading this and a few other WW forum for quite a while now and I have only seen any problems similar to this mentioned maybe a few of times at the most. Definitely not, "Many cases". When you have a machine that's as popular as the DW735 you're bound to have a problem here and there. From what I have read, nearly everyone who buys the DW735 is very happy with it and most agree that it outperforms all other lunchbox planers. Every review either online or in magazines that I've ever seen has placed it at the top of the pack.

Bruce

Bruce Benjamin
03-16-2007, 2:28 AM
Well, I don't know much about the DW733 but the OP was asking about the DW735. Different planer, different story. Also, it's not hard to find the DW735 at a discounted price. The standard retail price is higher than most of it's competition but still worth it in my opinion. But there's no reason to pay full price and the discounted prices put it into the range of the competition and you get a better planer. Finding a great price on a reconditioned version is easy and they're supposedly as good as new, possibly better since every one has been gone through. New tools are only spot checked unlike a reconditioned tool. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a reconditioned DW planer.

Bruce

What I read was on HDs site and it was for the DW 733 and also on epinions.Im glad they have fixed the problem with the newer models.

Randy Davidson
03-16-2007, 6:30 AM
I have a reconditioned 735 that has performed flawlessly. Good choice.

Tyler Howell
03-16-2007, 7:59 AM
Almost 3 years on the DW. Does what I want!!:cool:

Dave Sweeney
03-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Add another thumbs up for the DW735.

Bob Reeve
03-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Have it, Love it, Would buy it again in a heart beat

Bob

Brad Townsend
03-16-2007, 1:55 PM
Does the DW735 not come with outfeed tables? What is the best 13" planer?

Thanks
Shannon35 As a 735 owner, I would agree with others posting here that the 735 is the best 13" planer. I would suggest however that you might rephrase your question as "what is the best value in a 13" planer"? Then it's not so clear. If you buy new, you are going to tie up around $600 with the infeed/outfeed tables (and you WILL want them). You are then within about $300 of a full size 15" Grizzly, with all of the advantages of a heavy iron tool, including a large induction motor, good resale value and a much longer lifespan.

If for space or other reasons, it must be a portable planer, you can do very well with a Ridgid for a lot less money. You might take a slight performance hit compared with the 735, but nothing that wouldn't be sanded out anyway.

Al Willits
03-16-2007, 2:23 PM
For what's it worth I looked at the DW735 and by the time I got all the accessories, I was close enough in price that I bought the York 15" planer, very happy with that choice still.

Al

Fred Voorhees
03-16-2007, 3:57 PM
I have had the 735 and I have to say, I've run quite a bit of lumber through it and it still performs quite well, finish wise, out the other side of the unit. I have noticed a slight nick in a blade, well, not the blade, but its results on the finished product. But, I don't fault the blades for that. Must have nicked something along the way.

As for the outfeed and infeed tables, no, they don't come with them which I think is a bunch of crap! PERIOD! Without them, the thing is half the machine it could be. I solved the problem by building it into my benchtop and using the benchtop as an infeed and outfeed table. Problem solved. However, if you are going to be lifting it in and out from under a bench, it is a heavy sucker. I whole heartedly recommend the 735, but I strongly recommend purchasing the infeed and outfeed tables, or like I did, build them.

Jesse Thornton
03-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Building your own infeed/outfeed tables is a perfectly sound option. Being a benchtop model, most people will need to build some sort of stand (often mobile) for it anyhow, so working some folding extensions into the design shouldn't be that much more work.

Dave Falkenstein
03-17-2007, 12:32 PM
...If you buy new, you are going to tie up around $600 with the infeed/outfeed tables (and you WILL want them)...

Sorry Brad, but you are a bit off on your cost estimate. A new DW735 is $435 after rebate plus $6.50 shipping, here:

The extension tables are $42.99 at Amazon and are eligible for free shipping, here:

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW7351-Folding-Table-DW735/dp/B0000CCXUA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/102-0154308-9530571?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1174148927&sr=1-2

That totals $484.49, quite a bit less than $600.

Brad Townsend
03-17-2007, 1:28 PM
Sorry Brad, but you are a bit off on your cost estimate. A new DW735 is $435 after rebate plus $6.50 shipping, here:

The extension tables are $42.99 at Amazon and are eligible for free shipping, here:

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW7351-Folding-Table-DW735/dp/B0000CCXUA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/102-0154308-9530571?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1174148927&sr=1-2

That totals $484.49, quite a bit less than $600. I admire your resourcefulness Dave. Sadly, the price is only temporary until 4/30 and it's back up another sixty bucks. But even at $484.49 my opinion is still unchanged - It's still too darn much for what it is and not a particularly good value compared with other options out there.

Benjimin Young
03-17-2007, 2:00 PM
I also love my Dewalt 735. I recently bought the outfeed sections and love them too. The stand is ok but like most OEM stands does not mazimize storage space.

Mike Henderson
03-17-2007, 3:55 PM

For anyone who needs a set of extension tables, they're on 20% off right now, which makes them $34.39 shipped (free shipping).

Mike

Richard Daly
03-24-2007, 7:58 PM
HD has the 735 for 499.00..there is a 60.00 rebate..I think i"ll get it for the price diff. of other planers...also looking at the resale part if i decide to stop burning wood...Lets see do i want to buy a Dewalt 735 or a any other make????? you make the choice ......Stubby... keep fingers out of joiners. ......499.00 before rebate if the store doesn't have the form it is on the dewalt site.. the offer ends May 2nd

Gary Keedwell
03-24-2007, 8:03 PM
HD has the 735 for 499.00..there is a 60.00 rebate..I think i"ll get it for the price diff. of other planers...also looking at the resale part if i decide to stop burning wood...Lets see do i want to buy a Dewalt 735 or a any other make????? you make the choice ......Stubby... keep fingers out of joiners.

Is that $500 before the rebate? So is it $440 total?

Gary K.

Ralph Tyson
03-24-2007, 10:42 PM
To answer the original question, the DW735 does not come with outfeed tables --- at least mine didn't when I got it two years ago.

Craig Walls
03-24-2007, 11:58 PM
Another thumbs-up for the 735. Two yrs and I haven't had a problem. The infeed/outfeed stands were Christmas add on from LOML and improve performance especially where any snipe is concerned. She also gave me the DW stand for my birthday (love that woman!) and it works great.

The fan is so strong in the 735 that I would just let it blow into my D collector w/o turning the collector on.(lazy) I believe that let sawdust and small chips stay around the inside where they were gumming up the rollers. That's a learner!

BTW, I paid the usual $499 for mine. Here in Alaska we don't get alot of price competition and by the time you find and order it at the better price, the shipping will negate any savings from shopping around. Unfortunately it's the same with wood. :mad: My dad lives in MO and burns several species of oak, and hickory, walnut, etc in his stove! Here, I pay $4-5 for oak and you don't wanna know what cherry or walnut is!! Still the best place to live, though! Craig

Randy Davidson
03-25-2007, 7:43 AM
I love my 735 even after breaking down last week. I have 500 BF of white oak I started running through and doing fine. Suddenly the rollers just stopped. After a little investigation I discovered one of the gears on the chain for the rollers exploded. Got online and found a parts supplier, ordered (about $7 plus shipping) and should be back in business next week. What I did discover is how accessible most of the parts are on the 735. Hopefully I don't have to tear in again any time soon but it did let me become more familar with my machine. I've had it for about 2 years with no previous problems.

David Weaver
03-25-2007, 12:19 PM
I have a delta 22-580, and I like it a lot. I've thickness planed softwoods and a bunch of oak in it, and it's done a great job so far.

I haven't done anything with rough cut lumber in it yet, so I can't vouch for it there.

Richard Daly
03-25-2007, 8:30 PM
A fiend of mine has the Delta 22-580 ,he planed some wood for me and it worked just GREAT. He uses all rough cut lumber for his work..ALL i can say is that he gives the machine a goo workout...Stubby...Keep fingers out of joiners...ouch

Richard Daly
03-26-2007, 4:10 PM
Folks here is a great one..i just came from HD they have a power tool INSTANT rebate in the store from 3-26-07 to4-11-07 with diff. purchase amounts the one i was looking at was from400.00-599.00 is a instant savings if 75.00 ...with the dewalt coupon for 60.00 (send in) that 135.00 off of the 500 price>>>WOW... if you are interested in a dewalt 735 or other power tools it's to good to miss...PS..I DO NOT WORK FOR DEWALT OR HD... stubby ..keep fingers out of joiners

Dave Falkenstein
03-26-2007, 5:20 PM
Folks here is a great one..i just came from HD they have a power tool INSTANT rebate in the store from 3-26-07 to4-11-07 with diff. purchase amounts the one i was looking at was from400.00-599.00 is a instant savings if 75.00 ...with the dewalt coupon for 60.00 (send in) that 135.00 off of the 500 price>>>WOW... if you are interested in a dewalt 735 or other power tools it's to good to miss...PS..I DO NOT WORK FOR DEWALT OR HD... stubby ..keep fingers out of joiners

Now if you can just find a Home Depot that actually has one in stock.

Dan Clark
04-01-2007, 12:16 AM
I just checked Home Depot. Yes, there is a $75 discount + $60 rebate. But the price is $550, not $500. So the net price is $415 and NOT $365.

Regards,

Dan.