PDA

View Full Version : New Jet mini, possible problem

Eric Hartunian
03-15-2007, 9:41 PM
Hi all, I just got my new Jet mini lathe, and was unpacking it when I noticed something. While the spur center and live center line up perfectly, the tool rest does not. I like to set my tool rest just a hair above center, and while the left side is just right, the right side is low, I'd say by about 1/8" or so. Is this a problem? I can't tell if the tool rest is off square from the post, or if the hole the tool rest goes into is bored a little off square. Any ideas what I should do?
Thanks,
Eric

Martin Braun
03-15-2007, 9:48 PM
I'd get out a square and check the tool rest to it's post angle. Then give 'em a call. That's something they should replace under warranty. A way to check if it's the tool post would be to spin the tool post around at various angles & see if their is any change to the offset you describe. My $0.02. Sure others will have better ideas.

John Timberlake
03-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Shouldn't be like that. Just check to see if it is the tool rest or the support. Then call them and they should fix it. Last resort might be to grind enough to make it level. Since they will likely replace the tool rest without you send it back, you might think about grinding anyway after you resolve the issue with Jet.

I have found that most of the tool companies a pretty good about fixing problems like this. Must be cheaper than making sure they are right the first time. I just bought a Delta tenoning jig and it came in with a severly bent vertical support for the wood. It was bent before it went into their box. Got the part in three days. Good customer service, poor quality control.

Doug M Jones
03-16-2007, 10:31 AM
I just got my mini a week ago and while I had checked the centers, I hadn't checked the tool rest. Looked this morning and mine is off by about 1/16" inch in the same direction as yours. I will put a square to mine and move the rest to see if it makes a difference. Eric, post what you find out.