PDA

View Full Version : Whats it the proper way/angle to use a skew?

chris del
03-15-2007, 7:33 PM
I am very inexperienced in turning. What little skills I have are all from experimentation. I regret to this point I have no formal instruction.
My question is, what is the proper way to use a skew? What is the proper angle? Where should the tool rest be in relation to the centerline?
Is there a good online resource that illustrates the use of different turning tools?

Thanks to all of you in advance!

Chris

Jason Beam
03-15-2007, 7:55 PM
Hi Chris!

First, read this stuff:

http://www.turningtools.co.uk/wtintro/wtintro.html

You'll ind it very informative, I'm sure. I did!

Second ... if you really want to explore the skew, it's much easier to see it in action than to read about it. I personally enjoy Alan Lacer's video on the Skew - Not the "Son of Skew" but the other one ... The Light and The Dark Side of the skew or something like that. There's no better instruction on using the skew that i've been able to find.

Jim Becker
03-15-2007, 8:08 PM
I position mine vertically...in my tool rack. :D :D :D (Sorry, I couldn't resist as I can't use a skew this side of my life depending on it...)

John Shuk
03-15-2007, 8:16 PM
Alot of people agree with Jim about the skew but it can be one sweet tool. I would definately suggest Alan Lacer's video or perhaps "Turning Projects" by Richard Raffan. Both are masters of the tool.

Chris Barton
03-15-2007, 8:47 PM
The skew is a fundamental tool that shouldn't be avoided but, is by most turners including many professional turners. As said earlier, "The Skew Chisel" with Alan Lacer is probably the best DVD for instruction of how to properly maintain and use a skew. Richard Raffin is also very good but, doesn't get into the fundamentals as much as does Lacer.

Bruce Smith
03-15-2007, 8:50 PM
Chris Allan Lacer has produced some dandy DVD's and VHS tapes on using the skew chisel. I tried sending you an email as a friend of mine in Oshawa could probably help you out, but it says you don't take emails. How in heavens name do you expect to get information if you don't welcome emails. I just as soon not give his name out here on the forum as I know he wouldn't appreciate it. Good luck with using the skew it does have a learning curve but once you have it mastered, you will be like a kid with a new toy, you won't want to put it down.

Martin Braun
03-15-2007, 9:05 PM
From what I understand, the skew is the best tool ... ... for opening paint! :)

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Seriously though, I have come to enjoy the skew more and more. My experience is that the peel cut and the plane cut are the easiest to learn. The other aspect that I have noticed is that the dimensions of the grind on the skew can have a big impact on the stability of the cut. I find that a longer bevel (~2 tool widths) helps quite a bit compared compared to the factory grind. I'm sure that other folks have their preferences, or found a more optimal grind.

The recommended Alan Lacer video sounds good. I'll have to check it out.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Chris......I'm a relatively new turner of about 12 months. Last August IIRC Chris Barton attended a school and came back tauting the usefulness of the tool. I'm somewhat a redneck and when somebody tells me I can't do something....stand back....it may get ugly but it's gonna happen. So while most of the turners here referred to the skew as the "evil skew", I decided I'd see if I could find the usefulness of it as Chris had. Well.....it's now one of, if not, my favorite tool....for planing a flat surface that needs little if any sanding....for making fine detail cuts.......for "roughing out" cylinders........for shaping outside curves.....I have even turned some shallow inside curves with my skew. Now...that being said.....on several different days I went to the shop and spent the day working with the skew and nothing else. Wasted a lot of waste wood. THE SKEW MUST BE SCARY SHARP!.......grind it and then hone it! IT must be sharp, sharp, sharp! Get the Alan Lacer video/videos. I haven't seen them but too many turners who use the skew clamor about those videos and they are on my list but don't be afraid to work with the skew. Also, a book that helped me is "Wood Turning - A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley. In it he has a section describing the fundamentals of using each tool including the skew. It was my main source for skew use and.....the entire book is written for beginner turners....it's well written and illustrated. Richard Raffan's video "Turning Wood" is well worth buying also. Consider joining a local turning club.....turners for some reason I haven't yet figured out are always very willing to help teach others the techniques! Good luck in your endeavors in learning to turn!

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2007, 11:53 PM
Chris both Ken and Chris B. hit the nail on the head. The skew especially my big Raffan skew is my favorite tool. I have 3 skews by the way from 3/8", 5/8" and my big one 1 1/4". A skew must be sharpened and honed as Ken said scary sharp. My best suggestion and I have had no formal training other than video's is to watch Alan Lacer's the Skew Chisel. Best video I have seen for learning how to use a skew.

Shannon Grizzell
03-16-2007, 10:29 AM
I'll also cast my vote for Alan Lacer's video.

I took a basic turning course from a local instructor and while we did cover the skew, I still found it to be an intimidating tool.

Determined not to be beaten by the evil skew, I went and picked up Alan's video and watched it all the way through. Then I starting taking it a section at a time: I'd watch one technique, like the planing cut, and then go practice through an entire piece of wood or two.

While I still have much to learn about using a skew, I'm now much more comfortable than I was. Also his tip on using a 'safe drive' (I think he calls it something else) that will let the work piece slip if (or rather when) you get a catch takes some of the intimidation factor out of it, not having to worry about those nasty catches the skew is so notorious for.

Good luck to you. Once you get the hang of it, you'll love the finish cuts a skew can produce!

George Tokarev
03-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Skew is one of those tools which is being asked to do things other than its original purpose, which was to plane cylinders and make tapers. Old boys had chisels for making beads. Even their skews were single-sided to take advantage of the longer bevel contact. Made them more useful than a double-sided tool which can stub the opposite bevel and dig in if you get the angle too steep. If you've chopped mortises you know that trimming with the straight side wedges the cut out of square, while bevel side maintains it.

You can use a single-sided tool like a Bedan or a straight chisel, only at a skew angle to the cut, and do most anything a skew will do. Advantage lies in being able to cut down without snagging the extended nose in a larger diameter. Skews ground in convex shapes give you a bit more protection from the snag and skate than straight ones, but not as much as a straight chisel. Try a straight chisel made from one of your scrapers or a Bedan, or even the blunter version, the parting tool. You can cut down without fear if you keep the handle of the chisel lowered, and cut straight in slightly above centerline. Plane almost on top of the turning with a skew for best effect.

Jonathon Spafford
03-16-2007, 2:22 PM
I kinda like the skew... I had a feeling this topic would bring up some skew jokes ;) When I first started turning I didn't have my spindle gouge ground with a fingernail grind so the wings would catch real easy... so I learned to use my skew and I avoided my spindle gouge, which is kinda the opposite of most people.
There are many different cuts for a skew chisel just remember to keep the bevel rubbing at all times or it will skid and make sure that you keep the corners out of the wood and then try to get the edge at about a 45 degree angle. Your rest should maybe be a bit above center... I don't usually notice where I position my rest. The book Turning Wood by Richard Raffan is really good... he goes through all the ways to use the tools. When I started really improving was after I read that book! Anyhow, good luck!

Neal Addy
03-16-2007, 2:41 PM
A skew is one of my favorite tools, if not THE favorite. Unfortunately, bowl turning doesn't often give me a chance to use it much (which is one reason I love to do finials).

There are so many ways to use a skew that I'm not sure there is a "proper" way. But it can be the most intimidating tool for new turners. I'll put in another vote for the Alan Lacer video. It takes some of the initial fear out of getting to know the tool. Once you know what a skew can and can't (or shouldn't) do it's just a matter of practice.

John Hart
03-16-2007, 2:47 PM
....Once you know what a skew can and can't (or shouldn't) do it's just a matter of practice.

I find it to be fun and challenging practice too.

Put it in your mind that you are going to practice and learn how to use it...then it's fun.

Learning how to use it while trying to turn a masterpiece?....Not fun.:)

Paul Engle
03-16-2007, 3:33 PM
Ride the bevel, single most important thing to remember. Get Alan's video, ride the bevel,

John Terefenko
03-16-2007, 4:58 PM
I think a big factor in using a skew is the angle which is ground. Was reading somewhere that you do not want more than a 45degree angle. Is that what most of you grind the angle to and how do you hone the edge after you grind it??

chris del
03-16-2007, 8:17 PM
Ride the bevel, single most important thing to remember. Get Alan's video, ride the bevel,

I rode the bevel tonite, but it cut through my jeans......
Seriously, what is "riding the bevel" ?

Chris

Ed Thomas
03-17-2007, 9:11 AM
Bring your skew to next Saturday's lunch and I'll show you how to ride the bevel. :)

Bonnie Campbell
03-17-2007, 9:12 AM
I'm probably using my skew incorrectly, but I use it for turning my turkey calls and strikers, mainly because it's the easiest tool for me to sharpen by hand :o

Chris Barton
03-17-2007, 10:02 AM
I rode the bevel tonite, but it cut through my jeans......
Seriously, what is "riding the bevel" ?

Chris

Chris,

WHile all of the advice you have gotten is good the truth of the matter is that several tomes of material can and have been published on just this one tool so it's not like you can squeeze all of that into a few sentences. Alan Lacer's video is the best I have ever seen at addressing the skew. Once you have some level of comfort with this tool it will change your turning forever...

Ralph Lindberg
03-17-2007, 8:29 PM
Chris
the bevel is the ground part of the tool, normally it rests on the wood. I strongly suggest you need some books/video/instruction.