PDA

View Full Version : Osage Orange HF

Travis Stinson
03-15-2007, 6:48 PM
I've had this log section sitting around my shop for almost a year. Cutting inside was going so smooth that I decided to go ahead and turn it thin to finish. I used my Dremel tool to join the natural openings on top and the side. 6 1/2" diameter by 4 1/2" tall, 3/32" wall thickness, buffed Antique oil finish.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/tstin27/TS390.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/tstin27/TS390b.jpg

Jim Becker
03-15-2007, 7:18 PM
Wow...what a neat orientation to get that "mouth"! Very kewel!!

Osage is really neat stuff...hard, sands/buffs to a gleam without finish if you want.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-15-2007, 7:31 PM
Travis.....Your work is always stunning! I've only turned a small amount of osage orange and have enjoyed. Well done sir!

Bill Bolen
03-15-2007, 7:50 PM
Stunning piece! And your photography is first rate too!
Bill

Christopher K. Hartley
03-15-2007, 7:53 PM
Travis, Travis, Travis, what can we say that hasn't already been said about your other work. You nailed it again. Form, finish and wood all are top notch. Great work as usual.:)

Jay Drew
03-15-2007, 9:37 PM
Travis,
Your work is amazing! I just want to ask one favor... Can you please take a picture after you mount the next one on your lathe? I would like to see what the log looks like. It seems like I am always trying to get rid of the "bad" wood and I would love to learn how to take advantage of it.

Bernie Weishapl
03-16-2007, 12:06 AM
Beautiful Travis. Absolutely beautiful. What a awesome piece of osage orange. Nice job.

Dennis Peacock
03-16-2007, 12:55 AM
Georgeous piece there Travis. Very nice. Nothing like raising the bar even further. :D

Tom Sontag
03-16-2007, 1:07 AM
I love it.

But I do not understand this part: "I used my Dremel tool to join the natural openings on top and the side." Does either picture capture what you are talking about? What am I missing?

Or do you mean "join" as in "true the edge"?

Cody Colston
03-16-2007, 2:43 AM
Beautiful as always, Travis. You really have a gift for "seeing" and crafting unique forms. Sure do love that Bodark.

Jonathon Spafford
03-16-2007, 3:12 AM
I love it.

But I do not understand this part: "I used my Dremel tool to join the natural openings on top and the side." Does either picture capture what you are talking about? What am I missing?

Or do you mean "join" as in "true the edge"?

I think he meant that there were two holes in the piece of wood one of which he hollowed through and so he used a dremel to join the two holes... am I right?

Anyhow.... beautiful (gorgeous) piece turning! You always pick the best pieces of wood, come up with the best designs finish em with the best finish and they always turn out... the best!!!!!!! ;) Great job!!!

Ed Scolforo
03-16-2007, 6:16 AM
Another beauty, Travis! I too would like to see how you oriented the piece on the lathe.
Ed

Travis Stinson
03-16-2007, 7:17 AM
Thanks guys. It was oriented like a NE bowl, bark towards the tailstock. That's right Jonathon, except I created the openings. One side had a slight dip, which resulted in a void after it was hollowed. There was a thin wall section left between the top opening and the one created by the depression, this is what was sanded away to join the 2 openings. Hopefully this crude sketch will help to show what I did. ;)

Mark Pruitt
03-16-2007, 8:05 AM
Beautiful work Travis. I like the creative touch you gave to the opening.

jeremy levine
03-16-2007, 8:09 AM
Travis, Travis, Travis, what can we say that hasn't already been said about your other work. You nailed it again. Form, finish and wood all are top notch. Great work as usual.:)

Thanks for saving me the time, I didn't even look at the poster's name just the image.... I knew who it had to be.

Glenn Hodges
03-16-2007, 8:43 AM
Your work is constantly beautiful Travis, and this shows how inovative and creative you can be. Thanks for posting it, I would never have thought of doiing this.

Adam Howard
03-16-2007, 8:44 AM
Just awesome!

Bob Hallowell
03-16-2007, 8:48 AM
Travis,
Once again excellent piece. It's just plain old purdy.

Bob

Paul Engle
03-16-2007, 9:34 AM
Nicely done Travis, another " show stopper " for sure!!!

Neal Addy
03-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Spec-Stinson-tacular!

Another winner from the master.

Jim Ketron
03-16-2007, 5:43 PM
Beautiful Piece Travis!
I really like the thin look of this one, works well with the open void!

Steve Schlumpf
03-16-2007, 7:06 PM
Once again - Amazing Work Travis!!

Very impressed with how thin you made the piece! Love how the light illuminates the interior! Beautiful wood, grain patterns and finish!

Looking forward to being amazed by your next posting!!!

Mark Cothren
03-17-2007, 12:18 AM
Great work on a great piece of wood! It reminds me of Munch's painting, The Scream...:cool: