PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Adjustable Level

Richard Niemiec
03-15-2007, 5:34 PM
Ok, after burning brain cells I am seeking the wisdom of the group to resurrect the lost art of leveling a level. I picked up an old, but rather pristine, Stanley spirit level, with two fully adjustible vials. All original, fully functional. It is not, however, at all calibrated. Can anyone suggest the method, or source for the method, of "leveling" the level, as a google search has not produced much at all (albeit my search parameters may be suspect here). I'm not worried about the mechanism in the level itself, that's pretty intuitive, but its a method I am after. I've tried manufacturer's sites but somehow I think they don't manufacture these anymore. Of particular concern is the end vial for plumb. I thougt of using a reference level but somehow I think there is a better way.

RN

Ryan Cathey
03-15-2007, 5:46 PM
Find a surface you think is level and to be sure test it with a level you know is accurate. Now, set the un-level level on that surface and adjust it. If you have it right the buble should be in the same spot when you turn the level end-for-end. That's how I've always been told how to do it. Good luck.

-Ryan C.

Jim Becker
03-15-2007, 8:06 PM
How about using another level? ;)

Mark Stutz
03-15-2007, 8:31 PM
How about a water level? Use a few feet of clear flexible tubing, attach each end to the end of the level and adjust the vials.

Ryan Cathey
03-15-2007, 8:34 PM
Like this little cutie. Six inches of pure Starrett cast-iron beauty! Oh yeah, I bought it for fifteen bucks:D

-Ryan C.

Dennis O'Leary
03-15-2007, 10:33 PM
C'mon fellas, think!

1. place the thing on a flat surface. mark the footprint with a chinagraph or similar.
2. mark on the vial both ends of the bubble with same
3.Flip the level 180°
4.Repeat #2
5. use the adjusters to halve the error
6.flip to check that you get the same reading.

Done.:cool:

Bill Houghton
03-16-2007, 6:24 PM
I've used a similar approach to Dennis', starting with his approach, but finally testing the level by using a very thin shim at one end to create a truly level surface (feeler gauges, cardboard, typing paper, 3x5 cardstock; just make sure you tape it down or otherwise hold it still, and, as Dennis says, set the level down in exactly the same place each time). If you can get the bubble level both ways with this setup, you've got it.

Testing for plumb is similar, except you test against a line drawn on the wall or a surface that you plumb and clamp in place.

Gerry Musson
03-16-2007, 6:55 PM
Find a surface you think is level and to be sure test it with a level you know is accurate. Now, set the un-level level on that surface and adjust it. If you have it right the buble should be in the same spot when you turn the level end-for-end. That's how I've always been told how to do it. Good luck.

-Ryan C.
This is also a good method of checking any used levels you may wish to buy for accuracy before shelling out your cash

Richard Niemiec
03-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks guys. I just finished shoveling snow, so its down to the shop to adjust this level.

RN