PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID help

Gary Herrmann
03-15-2007, 1:40 PM
The neighbor I made the plum bowl for dropped this off last night when he came to get his bowl.

I think it may be either Crabapple or maybe Cherry, but I'm not sure. Its been outside for awhile so the visible grain all looks dark gray to me.

He also told me his next door neighbor has a 40-50 yr old dogwood that died last year and is still standing, so I'm working on that one too...

Thanks for the help.

Ron Ainge
03-15-2007, 2:20 PM
Gary

that appears to be some very nice Crab Apple to me. if you don't want it i know someone you can send it to that would love to have it.......:rolleyes:

William Fourness
03-15-2007, 2:23 PM
That is a block of Apple. What type of Apple I could not tell you until I could see what the wood looks like on the inside. And being Apple I would not expose no more wood until I could get Anchor Seal on it. Apple wood checks up quick and fast.

Bill
Penn's Woods

Gary Herrmann
03-15-2007, 3:24 PM
Thanks Bill. It already had some deep checks in it when I anchor sealed it last night. Is there much of a difference between apple and crabapple?

The apple boards I've seen are kinda reddish in color. Couldn't tell you what color crabapple is.

Paul Engle
03-15-2007, 3:53 PM
Looks like crab apple, the standing dogwood will be excellent , standing dead dries well very little internal cracking dont let that one get away...

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2007, 5:04 PM
Yep looks like Crab Apple to me.

William Fourness
03-15-2007, 6:08 PM
Most crab apple we cut up here, we found one common factor and that is there is like a crismon purple color just under the bark layer. But that there is a nice multi crotch block and should have great mixed crotch figured with outstanding color. And if is green you could even spalt it. Soon we'll be start this years spalt piles here. Any time we can be of help here just ask.

Bill