PDA

View Full Version : Fulton Jointer

Dan Carroll
03-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Does anyone have info on a 'Fulton' hand plan. I have found a little and they appear to have been sold by Sears. Not sure if they are a cheap line or a high end line. Also any ideas of who was the real maker? I supect Sargent just from the look, but not sure.

James Owen
03-15-2007, 1:40 PM
Does anyone have info on a 'Fulton' hand plan. I have found a little and they appear to have been sold by Sears. Not sure if they are a cheap line or a high end line. Also any ideas of who was the real maker? I supect Sargent just from the look, but not sure.

Dan,

They were made by Sargent. Not sure who sold them, but apparently were part of the Sears line-up (haven't been able to confirm this anywhere...). Certainly not a top-quality plane like the Bedrocks or Sargent VBMs; more toward the bottom end of the scale in quality and price. Hope that this is of some use.

Ken Werner
03-15-2007, 2:01 PM
Hi,
I recently restored a Fulton Jack plane for a buddy of mine. It is a nice plane, with lesser quality components than a similar vintage Stanley. Hardwood handle rather than rosewood, steel adjuster rather than brass. On the other hand, it took a good sharpening, and planed very nicely. I'd buy a vintage Stanley over a Fulton, but if you have one, it can certainly be put to work.
Ken

Bart Leetch
03-15-2007, 3:47 PM
I have a Fulton bench plane similar to a Stanley #4 not a bad little plane. I have not seen very many of these planes. Think of it this way clean it up & sharpen it & you'll have something a little different in your collection. One Fulton on the shelf can't be all that bad. I also have a Greatneck bench-plane that works real good. I think its kinda fun I also have a Millerfalls #22 think like Stanley #7. I like a variety a little of this & a little of that it just make things a little more interesting.