PDA

View Full Version : Treating metal...

peter slamp
03-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Hey all, in my former incarnation before I became an 'expert' woodworker ;), I used to make a bit of metal furniture. Well now that I've gained some experience with wood, I'd like to blend the two styles. I've just begun the process of welding some steel rod to use for coffee table legs. My question for those much more wise than me is this...I've always just sprayed on clear coat for rust inhibition. I've been thinking that perhaps some of you might have some better suggestions. Would a layer of clear coat spray followed by some Johnson's Paste wax or just the wax be better? Any other secrets I don't know about? I'm really just looking for the most durable, long lasting and maintenance free method. Thanks!

PS - I forgot to mention that clear is a must, as the shiny mild steel is the finish of choice. Thanks!

Al Willits
03-15-2007, 12:10 PM
Ever think of using stainless?

I've found whatever works to keep moisture from contacing the metal, most everthing I use covers the metal so I couldn't help, but what your doing sounds good.

Al

Lee Schierer
03-15-2007, 12:50 PM
We get our steel parts plated to prevent rusting. You can get a zinc flash (0.0003" thick) plating pretty cheap. Our local source charges a $50 minimum. You can also get elctroless nickel for about $0.10 per square inch of surface. Both will make you metal immune to rust.

peter slamp
03-15-2007, 1:06 PM
Ever think of using stainless?

Al
Yea, don't have my welder set up to do stainless right now plus stainless = $$$$!

peter slamp
03-15-2007, 1:07 PM
We get our steel parts plated to prevent rusting.

This sounds very promising! Where do you take your steel to have this done. Thanks!

Joe Chritz
03-15-2007, 5:39 PM
There are tons of finishes available.

A fella I know owns an archery business (building the bows) and he uses a film dip that is fairly durable. Its available in all kinds of colors, camo, you name it.

My bow had a custom hard dip done on it. It is incredibly hard and wasn't bad price wise. I don't recall the amount but like most plating places there is a minimum charge.

Check your local yellow pages. My little town has a metal coating company.

ETA: I looked at powder coating when I was building some outdoor dog agility equipment out of hot rolled steel. That also looked very promising.

Joe

Matt Meiser
03-15-2007, 9:07 PM
My brother has made a fair amount of metal furniture over the past several years. He always uses a spray-can clear coat and has had good luck. It wouldn't hold up outside, but inside it works well.

Lee Schierer
03-15-2007, 9:11 PM
This sounds very promising! Where do you take your steel to have this done. Thanks!

We use a company in Erie, PA called American Tinning & Galvanize for the zinc coatings. Erie Hard Chrome does our electroless nickel.

American Tinning (http://www.galvanizeit.com/index.asp)