PDA

View Full Version : New Member & TS Overarm Guard ?

Waymon Campbell
12-17-2003, 9:00 AM
Just wanted to introduce myself as a new "Creeker". I have been lurking around for a few weeks and must say that I am so very impressed with the knowledge (and willingness to share it), the fellowship (you guys and gals are awesome), and the positive reinforcement in evidence by all of the members.

LOML and I have spent the last 6 months building my first ever shop (16'x32') in the backyard. We did everything but the slab and electrical. I don't know about you folks, but isn't it great to have a spouse who not only supports you, but is willing to get their hands dirty doing it!

Anyway, I am in the process of outfitting my shop and currently working on a "Norm" 16' Miter Bench and Storage. I'll try to get shop pix in the next couple of days to post, as well as my pix (hoping I doesn't frighten anyone :D ).

I do have a question. I have a PSI TSGuard overarm table saw guard on the way and am considering mounting it on the ceiling instead of at the end of my TS extension table. Anyone have this setup or have thoughts on the pros and cons versus the "normal way"?

Waymon...

John Miliunas
12-17-2003, 9:11 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Waymon! Yup, great place to hang your hat!

Congrats on the new shop. 'Round these parts, that little bit of included information constitutes a "Stealth Gloat"...Just an FYI! :D Yeah, great to have the "other half" involved! LOML doesn't get involved with shop setups, unless I really, *really* need assistance with something, but she is very supportive of my habit...errrrr....hobby....uh, I mean addiction....No, no that's not what I meant. My work. Yeah, that's what I meant to say!

Anyhow, on the TS guard. I have the Excalibur, which is of similar design. No, I don't have it mounted on the ceiling, but here's my take on it, FWIW: In my old shop, I still had it mounted on the arm, but my DC flex pipe was coming down from the ceiling down to the guard, almost directly over it. Worked great but, I did find myself swinging boards and the such into it. Not bad as long as I remembered it was there, but still nicer without it. In my present shop, I went ahead and kept all the DC connections on the extreme right of the blade, including the Excalibur connection. Another advantage of keeping it stock is, if you need to get the guard out of the way for doing splines or box joints or similar, you can still do so. With the ceiling mount, you may not have enough room to move it far enough for taller projects. Also, if you ever have the need or inclination to shift equipment around in your shop, the guard will need special attention.

Don't know if this helps, but that's my $00.02-worth on it. Again, welcome and enjoy your stay! :cool:

Todd Burch
12-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Welcome Waymon!

We're weally gwad you joined! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Hey, if you ever get to the other side of Houston, out here in Katy, give me a holler!

Todd

Charles McKinley
12-17-2003, 11:47 AM
Hi Waymaon,

Welcome to the Creek. I think I would keep it stock for the reasons John mentioned.

Just my opinion and you know what that is worth.

Von Bickley
12-17-2003, 9:52 PM
Waymon,
Great to have you in the creek with us.......

Waymon Campbell
12-17-2003, 10:13 PM
Hey Todd - What hardwood suppliers do you have experiences with in the Houston area? I am looking for mainly rough cherry, red oak and antique pine.

Waymon (the waskiwy wabbit)...

John Scarpa
12-17-2003, 10:43 PM
Welcome to the SMC and a bunch of real nice people. Keep us informed on your overarm guard outcome. I took note of what John Miliunas had to say and I think I'm going to mount mine on the right as I have my saw on casters. I was going to try and avoid that because I have only a 30" fence and thought I'd be bumping into it. I can see where trying to line up the overhead guard could be a pain after I've moved the TS and I planto do that often so the LOML can get her car in the garage.

Todd Burch
12-17-2003, 10:59 PM
Waymon, off the top of my head...

Mason's Mill & Lumber
Hardwood Products
Houston Hardwoods
Hardwoods of Houston
Hogans
Fine Woods of Houston

I primarily use Masons, and my second choice is Fine Woods. You need an account @ Masons to buy, but they're the largest hardwood distributor in town. They probably keep about 10,000 bf of just cherry on hand, along with the other 30+ types of wood.

Todd.