PDA

View Full Version : Polycarbonate Sources

Chris Jenkins
03-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Gents,

I did a search on Polycarbonate and got mostly returns in the laser forum. What I am looking for is a source to buy small amounts of polycarbonate. I plan to do some router bases and some jigs.

Thanks,

Chris

glenn bradley
03-15-2007, 10:19 AM
MLCS "Super Tough Router Mounts" (it's just a 1/4" or 3/8" poly blank)

- or -

K-mac Plastics http://polycarbonate-tubes-rods.com/

Sam Blanchard
03-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Chris:
Here's an outfit I can recommend, http://www.rplastics.com/index.html
They have just about everything to do with plastics, ship fast and have GR8 customer service: I had a small issue with one order, called CS and the replacement parts were in my hand in 2 days. Real nice folks. Probably take a little longer to ship to your area, but not much.:)

Paul Johnstone
03-15-2007, 10:58 AM
If you need just small pieces (like for a router base), the absolute best way is to find a local place that uses it (a sign making place, or place that customs cuts). They save all their scraps, and you can get them really cheap. They often sell scraps by the pound, so one trip can get you a lifetime supply.

Brad Townsend
03-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Chris,

I note that you are in Dekalb. I have bought small quantities of polycarbonate at Abbott Plastics and Rockford Central Plastics, both in Rockford. They primarily deal with industry, but have always been more than happy to sell me a small amount of whatever I need. I have found them generally cheaper than ordering off the web. Of course, you have to drive a few miles to get it.:)

Chris Jenkins
03-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Brad,

Thanks for the local source. I may be out that way in a few weekends, I'll have to give these two places a call.

I'm gonna check these online sources too. Thanks guys

Dan Forman
03-15-2007, 3:04 PM
Have you checked the yellow pages under plastics? I would think that DeKalb would be big enough to have at least one plastics supplier. Most will sell to the public.

Dan

Brad Townsend
03-15-2007, 4:54 PM
Have you checked the yellow pages under plastics? I would think that DeKalb would be big enough to have at least one plastics supplier. Most will sell to the public.

Dan Perhaps, but the problem with Dekalb is that it's a university town. Not a lot of manufacturing for its size.

Chris Jenkins
03-15-2007, 5:06 PM
Brad - I think we are slowely becoming more known on the map and not just for the campus. People have been moving more and more west these past few years. I can tell you traffic is getting pretty congetsted being their are really two major routes out of the DeKalb Sycamore area towards Chicagoland.

Ron Kellison
03-15-2007, 5:55 PM
Personally, I would suggest phenolic over poly or another acrylic. It's stiffer, stronger and less prone to scratches. Unfortunately, it's also more expensive. Basic black always works for me!

J D Thomas
03-15-2007, 5:58 PM
Chris,

I've picked up many sized pieces of 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" on eBay. Shipping can get pricey sometimes, but it's there.

Brad Townsend
03-15-2007, 6:23 PM
Brad - I think we are slowely becoming more known on the map and not just for the campus. People have been moving more and more west these past few years. I can tell you traffic is getting pretty congetsted being their are really two major routes out of the DeKalb Sycamore area towards Chicagoland. I hear you Chris. I wasn't dissing Dekalb or implying it's one-dimensional. (I'm an NIU grad myself and my son attends there now.) It just doesn't have the manufacturing, or the need for industrial plastics that Rockford does.

Perhaps you have heard to old tale that many years ago when the State of Illinois was deciding where to put NIU, the industrial powers in Rockford fought successfully to keep NIU out. The end result is Rockford has stagnated for the past fifty years, while Dekalb has grown. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!:D

John Durscher
03-15-2007, 6:30 PM
McMaster-Carr has polycarbonate - they are a good place to go when you need something out of the ordinary. Their website is www.mcmaster.com I use them quite a bit for building maintenance supplies.

John