PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Powermatic Lathes

Adam Howard
03-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Looking for some advice.......

I'm getting ready to take the plunge on a Powermatic 3520B lathe, and have some questions.

First off, I think this is probably the best lathe in that price range, so I think my mind is pretty well made up.

Anybody know the outboard spindle size? I've got a vacuum setup now and will want to adapt it to the new PM.

The other issue is hollowing rigs w/laser... What is everyone's favorite? Kelton? Jamieson? Home-made?

William Bachtel
03-15-2007, 10:09 AM
I just got one of these lathes, its absolutely great. Between centers is a short 3l, they want to sell you the bed extension 375.oo bucks but then you can turn outboard on that, they also only give you a 3 inch face plate, I had to have one made (7 inch) because powermatic wants l25.oo for theys. Great machine you will love it, I should have gotten it sooner.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Adam, I think it's a great choice and you'll love it.:) I do have one suggestion. Could you paint it Mayo?:confused: :D :D

Bob Hallowell
03-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Adam,
don't know about the lathe, but I just got the monster-tool from Randy Privett and really like it. I think it was the most bang for your buck.

Bob

Dario Octaviano
03-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Adam,
don't know about the lathe, but I just got the monster-tool from Randy Privett and really like it. I think it was the most bang for your buck.

Bob
Adam,

I too got the monster hollowing set from Randy and very happy with it.

I haven't removed the handwheel at the outboard side so I can't give you the thread size. I know the spindle through hole doesn't have any threading inside.

Check your PM about PM3520

Kurt Rosenzweig
03-15-2007, 2:47 PM
There are no threads on the outboard side. I wanted to go with the Oneway adapter but ended up buying the EZ Adaptor and it works great. Craft supply sells it. There may be a way to attach the Oneway but I don't know how.

Travis Stinson
03-15-2007, 6:37 PM
Another recommendation for the EZ Adapter, it's hard to beat.
My favorite hollowing setup is a home-made Jamieson D handle with the John Jordan 16" bent boring bar and a Monster Tools laser (MUCH better than the Jamieson laser IMO).

Chris Barton
03-15-2007, 6:46 PM
Lots of good information about the PM3520b can be found here:

The AAW forum

Jim Sample
03-15-2007, 10:18 PM
I have bought the last lathe I will buy, last spring, it is a great lathe for the money, I just ordered the extension so I can turn out board. Oneway has an adaptor for it with no threads, only an o-ring seal that works fine so far.

I built a Jamieson d handle, and a Randy Privett Laser and his boring bar which a very substansual unit. I am happy so far.

Jim Sample:) :)

Bernie Weishapl
03-16-2007, 12:03 AM
Adam can't help ya with the lathe but on the hollowing tools I have two sets. I have a set of Keltons 5/16" and 5/8" for free hand hollowing. Like Dario and Bob I bought the Monster Hollow Form tool from Randy Privett. It is one hefty piece and I think with every thing you get including a swan neck it is the best bang for the buck.

Brodie Brickey
03-16-2007, 1:07 AM
Adam,

I have a Powermatic 3520A and I'm sure you'll love the 3520B. If you need to get extra Powermatic parts or items, check out Osolnik Machinery (http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/) I can't speak for their prices on lathes, but I picked up a face plate for $45.00 & a curved tool rest for $54.00.

For lathe prices, I purchased through Amazon & got free shipping. I also hear about something called "Tool Nut" where they will match or beat pricing against Amazon and others. I'm not sure if it was this board or WoodNet where I saw it.

The one thing to keep an eye on when purchasing toolrests (for McNaughton, etc.) is that you have a 20" swing. A lot of the standard posts are made for a 16" swing so things get a little short. Not sure on the hollowers, I haven't bit the bullet for one yet.

Congratulations on your upcoming purchase.

Rich Souchek
03-16-2007, 1:12 AM
Also.. Powermatic Group at MSN