PDA

View Full Version : Can someone walk me through my first laser cut job?

John Pickett
03-15-2007, 9:56 AM
Can someone please walk me through my first laser cut job?

I have used the laser for production jobs but the files were already created and downloaded to the laser software. I am asking if someone can walk me through the basic steps in generating the artwork and downloading the artwork and tool paths to the laser software.

I have the following software and equipment:

Software - AutoCad 2005, EngraveLab 7.1 and Corel Draw 9.0 to make my art work.
Equipment - 25 watt Trotec Speedy 300 with Job Control 7.4.9 software.

What I experimented with so far…I drew a simple square in Corel and changed the line thickness to .004” and the color of the lines to Red (R 255, G 0 B 0 ). I then printed this file to the Trotec laser software. I then transfered my artwork to what they call the plate. Once on the plate, I checked the artwork for the path I would be cutting by clicking on the icon with the red square and I can see the cut lines I want to make. I ran the laser but it didn’t move. Nothing happened. Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I think it has to do with not creating the tool path or laser path correctly.

I’m in real need of some guidance and I would appreciate any comments.

Mike Null
03-15-2007, 11:10 AM
John
PM me with your phone number.

For now go to Job Control Driver (when you select print from Corel this window will open.)

Go to material properties and open that window.

Check your settings at the bottom of the page. It sounds like you have the red color set to "skip" instead of "cut".

I have found Trotec tech support to be superb. Their number is 1 866 226 8505 x 112.

John Pickett
03-15-2007, 5:24 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the advice. I checked the materials set-up and toggled between "skip", "cut" and "engrave" and selected "cut" but still the laser will not move.

Mike Null
03-15-2007, 6:43 PM
John:
When in Corel click print preview and see if your job comes up on the screen. It's possible that the plate size you've selected doesn't fit the work.

In answer to your PM the Trotec number is free and open from 9-5 EST.

Try changing your line width to .001" or hairline.