PDA

View Full Version : Wormy Ash

William Bachtel
03-15-2007, 9:03 AM
Can you guys tell me how to get the sawdust or poop out of the tunnels left by the insects in wormy wood (Ash). I turned a Wormy Ash bowl from green to finish and would like to know how to do this. Maybe pictures after I put finish on. Thaks.

Mark Cothren
03-15-2007, 9:22 AM
The only way I've cleared the tunnels is with dental picks... I tried soaking extra long in DNA and I tried blasting with high air pressure - no luck. If you'll turn it fairly thin it won't take too long to pick/scrape them out. A good firm toothbrush will help clean them up after you do the heavy work with the picks.

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2007, 9:55 AM
Ditto what Mark said. The key is thin.

William Bachtel
03-15-2007, 10:11 AM
I guess nice things comes with hard work. Was lookin for something simple.

Chris Barton
03-15-2007, 10:47 AM
Sometimes a spritz with an airgun will blow the stuff out but, dental pick is the tool...

Mark Cothren
03-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Anybody ever tried a water pick?

Jonathon Spafford
03-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Maybe try a pipe cleaner... don't know if this would be too much faster than a toothpick though.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Along with the above recommendations the pipe cleaner or soft tooth brush dipped in mineral spirits seems to clean out the white residue and dust that is left behind. There is however a prerequisite to all of this...remove the worm first.:eek: :D

William Bachtel
03-16-2007, 9:54 AM
Maybe try a pipe cleaner... don't know if this would be too much faster than a toothpick though.

Toothpick and pipecleaners are not strong enough this $h!# is packed in there, I wood like to try the waterpick idea.