PDA

View Full Version : Another veneer question...

peter slamp
03-15-2007, 12:16 AM
So I bought some walnut veneer from Constantines (40 sq.ft) with the intent of veneering some mdf for a table top or carcasse (not sure yet). This was intended as yet another practice project to learn some new techniques and lessons. The problem is all the wood came in approx. 2-3" X 12" strips! Is this normally how veneer is shipped? I assumed it would come like a sheet. I've seen it in the past in specialty wood shops this way.
How do I cut the veneer so that the edge lines are least visible since I'll need many of them to cover a substrate? Also matching grain seems pretty difficult in this scenario. Am I missing something here? Thanks, any help much appreciated. :o

Mark Singer
03-15-2007, 12:54 AM
Peter, I usually buy it directly and inspect it....it is usually much wider ten what you got. It can be taped together with veneer tape and then glued to the mdf. If you have a bandsaw, you and resaw veneer from solid stock and get the grain to match well. One trick is to allow the mdf to start bigger than the final size......after the venner is glued cut them together like a sheet of plywood...

Mike Henderson
03-15-2007, 1:21 AM
I would not accept that shipment but would return it to Constantines. If the veneer was long enough to reach from end to end of a table, you would at least have a chance of making it look decent. But with it being that short, it'd look really odd if laid on a table top.

For joining long strips of veneer edge to edge, you can use something like a shooting board - something that will be straight. A couple of pieces of MDF with straight edges will work. Stack your veneer with the edges aligned and put it between the two pieces of MDF with just a small amount sticking out, maybe 1/16 or less. Clamp the mdf to your bench. Now sand the edge of the veneer with a long straight sanding block. It's also possible to use a plane and "shoot" the veneer but that takes a bit more experience.

For the future, when you order veneer, you need to specify the dimensions acceptable to you. So if you are going to veneer a table that's 60 inches long (for example) you need to specify that the veneer be over 60 inches in length. I'd also let them know that I don't want real narrow veneer by saying that the minimum width I'll accept is 6 inches (or whatever). If they may tell you that they can't meet your needs, ask them what they can do and decide if you can live with it.

An alternate approach is to get paper backed veneer which comes in 4' by 8' sheets. But paper backed veneer is VERY thin so you can't sand it except with fine sandpaper and not much of that. That may be the best approach for you if you haven't done much veneering.

Good luck!!

Mike

peter slamp
03-15-2007, 1:54 AM
Thanks Mike. I was thinking exactly what you stated. The veneer i bought doesn't seem very useful except for maybe small boxes. I guess I'll keep it in case I go that route. Hmmm, maybe I should try a jewelry box of some sort. Still wondering what the best method of squaring up the veneer would be. Should I use an exacto? I'd say it is about an 1/8th inch thick. Any suggestions?

Ooops, i just reread your post Mike, missed the part about sanding the edges of the veneer. Very neat trick, I think I'll try it. Thanks!

Chris Barton
03-15-2007, 7:10 AM
I have bought a good deal of veneer from Constantines and they have always provided a discription of the general sizes of veneer available. Did they not do that int your case? While they aren't the cheapest place around I couldn't fault them for their service or products based upon my experience.

Matt Day
03-15-2007, 8:16 AM
Try Joe Woodworker next time (http://www.joewoodworker.com/catalog/). He posts pictures of the each veneer so you know exactly what you're getting.

Jim Tobias
03-15-2007, 5:18 PM
Peter,
Another couple of places to try are below. I have ordered from both and have received excellent veneer. Just tell them the size (length and width) that you need.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=54060

http://veneerartistry.com/Page_1x.html

Jim

Carroll Courtney
03-15-2007, 6:41 PM
Peter,I have purchase afew times for them w/no problems.If you order was (exp)"just send me 20 sq ft" then they might have just sent pieces totaling 20sq ft.When I order I ask for (exp) 12"X36" and say come as close as you can.If you need bigger piecies you will have to order the Monark series,which is 7' or longer by what ever width you need.I learned alittle each time I order veneer from them.I ask questions and ask for suggestions.You also can try B&B Rarewoods,I purchase veneer from them and they are also very helpful.Give them another try before you write them off.

Mike Henderson
03-15-2007, 8:01 PM
Thanks Mike. I was thinking exactly what you stated. The veneer i bought doesn't seem very useful except for maybe small boxes. I guess I'll keep it in case I go that route. Hmmm, maybe I should try a jewelry box of some sort. Still wondering what the best method of squaring up the veneer would be. Should I use an exacto? I'd say it is about an 1/8th inch thick. Any suggestions?

Ooops, i just reread your post Mike, missed the part about sanding the edges of the veneer. Very neat trick, I think I'll try it. Thanks!
If it's an eighth of an inch thick, you don't have veneer - you have something else. Most veneer is 1/42 of an inch or maybe a bit thicker (maybe 1/32). An eighth of an inch would be very unusual veneer and might explain why the pieces are so small.

Mike

peter slamp
03-15-2007, 8:42 PM
http://www.constantines.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2986

This is what I ordered.