PDA

View Full Version : OT: Frogalina Starts 4th Season

Jim Becker
03-14-2007, 9:06 PM
Lo and behold, our beloved Frogalina (a somewhat rotund Green Frog...yes that's the species) has once again woken from her winter slumber to start her fourth season with us. We think she was a mere tadpole when we built our first little pond and arrived on/in some plants we purchased. Since then, there have been quite a few little green frogs (and their bronze cousins) come and go, but Frogalina has stuck with us. Some of you may remember that she disappeared for awhile last spring and we thought that maybe a cat got her, but no...she was apparently just out "catting around" with some male green frog somewhere and returned to our happy pond when sated. (Must be nice to be a frog in love or something like that...)

At any rate, today was the first day she has appeared since early winter when she hunkered down somewhere inside the pond pump house. Unlike last year, she doesn't seem to have lost any weight. And also unlike other years, there is another green frog that has grown well and is now about half her size. I suspect it's some relative, but don't exactly know how to ask...

Obligatory pictures...taken tonight as the first "bug hunt" of the season started...

Don Bergren
03-15-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm glad to see that Frogalina has joined your family for another season. You'll laugh at this one, but the day before yesterday I was telling a friend about Frogalina wintering over in your cellar the first year that you had your pond. They couldn't imagine it!

Glad to see her! And glad that she has company.

Art Mulder
03-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Lo and behold, our beloved Frogalina ...

Y'know, Jim, I was about to post a comment about how I just can't imagine someone attaching the adjective of "beloved" to a frog.

But then I remembered two days ago when it was a balmy +12c outside, and I went for a walk at lunch with a co-worker/friend and she stopped and "rescued" a wooly catepillar from certain doom on the sidewalk, and professed her intention to take it home and let it finish wintering/hibernating in her fridge. Along with another one that she had.

So, I take it back.

I hope, for your sake, that the pond is well protected from, or well away from, your building site.

Belinda Barfield
03-15-2007, 12:39 PM
That is certainly the loveliest frog I have ever had the pleasure of viewing.! She is most photogenic. Congrats on the reappearance!

Jim DeLaney
03-15-2007, 2:02 PM
I saw the first couple frogs in my pond yesterday (65°), too. Now, today, it's back to 35°, so they're back down in the mud again, no doubt. Maybe in a few more weeks...

John Shuk
03-15-2007, 4:21 PM
Toss her an earthworm and she will love you forever.

Jim Becker
03-15-2007, 7:55 PM
Toss her an earthworm and she will love you forever.

I have done that from time to time...you would have thought I kissed her...:eek::o:p:):D

Karl Laustrup
03-16-2007, 6:45 AM
Can we assume, Punxatauny Phil not withstanding, that with the awakening of Frogalina, spring has sprung? :)

I certainly hope so. I'm ready for some nice weather.

Karl

Glenn Clabo
03-16-2007, 6:57 AM
Just proves the old saying...everyone is beautiful in someone(frogs) eye.

Wes Bischel
03-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Jim,
I hope Frogalina has taken cover considering this weekends weather!!

Wes

Fred Voorhees
03-16-2007, 4:13 PM
Jim,
I hope Frogalina has taken cover considering this weekends weather!!

Wes
I was going to say the same thing Wes. By the looks of the weather outside the window right now, she sure hasn't predicted Spring by any stretch of the imagination!:eek:

Jim Becker
03-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Yea, the pond is already frozen over again. It was 79º three days ago and going to be 30º. In the teens tonight. Professor Dr SWMBO left a little mud and muck on the bottom when she cleaned up the pond the other day, so "her frog-ness" (and friends) would have something to stay comfy in during this up and down weather.

Jim Dunn
03-17-2007, 8:44 AM
My wife built a pond just outside of our front door. Full of frogs in the spring. I don't think any of them are as pretty as Frogalina.:)

I did present her with a few minnows about 4 years ago. Of the 5 she put in the pond 1 has survived all this time. Guess it must eat tadpoles.