PDA

View Full Version : TS Fence Recommendation

Ken Robb
12-17-2003, 7:38 AM
I've started reorganizing my shop after a five year layoff. As part of the reorganization I want to combine my TS and routing table. I have a Grizzly 1023 TS. I am considering a Biesmeyer style fence along with my current Incrajig router system vs an Incrajig TSIII or Jointech sawtrain. Any opinions on which system is better?

Tyler Howell
12-17-2003, 8:31 AM
I love my Bies!

TJH

Lloyd Robins
12-17-2003, 9:13 AM
I have a Bench Dog table on my saw with a Bench Dog lift. It works well, and I like it.

Dave Richards
12-17-2003, 9:41 AM
I have the TS-IIIa from Incra and like it alot. I'd highly reccomend it or maybe their new LS although I haven't seen that in person.

If I had my router table as an extension of the tablesaw top, I'd most like build my own add-on fence with a split in it for the bit and a DC port behind that.

Keith Starosta
12-17-2003, 9:45 AM
Is there one online retail source that stands out from the rest as far as purchasing a TS Fense system?

Keith

Chris Padilla
12-17-2003, 9:52 AM
Is there one online retail source that stands out from the rest as far as purchasing a TS Fense system?

Keith

I'd go with Dave and the Incra TS-3a fence system. The precision and repeatability are top rate. Woodpeckers (http://www.woodpeck.com) is a good online source for most all of Incra products HOWEVER, check eBay (http://www.ebay.com) for the Incra TS-3a (just type in Incra for your search). I bought my Incra off of eBay. In fact, check eBay as a final check before you purchase just about anything online! Some amazing deals can be had.

Chris

Bart Leetch
12-17-2003, 9:58 AM
I have been looking at the Freud router table fence. It may be worth at least looking at. The Wood workers supply catalog has a pic in it & a discription.

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=117-371

Mark Valsi
12-17-2003, 10:32 AM
I love the older INCRA i have, but wish I could upgrade to the new system.

I saw it at a show, and man do I like it !!

Dave Richards
12-17-2003, 11:42 AM
Keith, if you do look at e-bay or elsewhere for Incra, remember there is the TS-III and TS-IIIa. The "a" has a machined face on the fence while the "non-a" doesn't.

Their new LS system is more money and uses a leadscrew for the adjustment rather than the plastic toothed bars. I don't know that it's any better really but they moved the fine adjust to just behind the fence which is probably better ergonomically. I rarely have need to use the fine adjust on mine so I don't know if I'd find it worth the upgrade.

Chris Padilla
12-17-2003, 12:14 PM
Keith, if you do look at e-bay or elsewhere for Incra, remember there is the TS-III and TS-IIIa. The "a" has a machined face on the fence while the "non-a" doesn't.

Their new LS system is more money and uses a leadscrew for the adjustment rather than the plastic toothed bars. I don't know that it's any better really but they moved the fine adjust to just behind the fence which is probably better ergonomically. I rarely have need to use the fine adjust on mine so I don't know if I'd find it worth the upgrade.

Widening dadoes a "skoch" is my main use of it. Calibrating the fence to zero on the saw blade is the other. I think the new LS system is quite slick but I really don't have a good reason to upgrade. The folks at Incra are damn fine engineers...impressive and innovative products.

Chris

EliotMason
12-17-2003, 2:41 PM
After using an Incra TS3a with the Wonder Fence for routing on on Incra table with the PRL, I pulled it off. I put the DeWalt fence back on.

I found the Incra to be a problem in several ways. First, the length of the unit was too great - the tail end of the fence always seemed to be sticking off the end and making it hard to move around the right hand side of th saw. If space is a concern, be careful when considering the Incra.

Second, I found the design drifted too much on me. I had trouble keeping it square unless the rear was locked down all the time. Locking down the rear is a pain, and locking down the front ain't much better. When done, its solid but I found the setup time too great. I think part of this is the amount of leverage something has when it pushes on the far edge of the fence.

But I like the accuracy, and found it nifty with a router.

So my solution is to set some hollow screws (or whatever they're called) into the right side table. Then when I want to I can pop the rip fence off and quickly screw the Incra base to the table top for use routing or on the TS. I think this will give be the best of both worlds - a easy to use, accurate rip fence that doesn't always take up room and an easy way to get the accuracy of the Incra when needed.

That's the plan, anyway. I have the parts, but haven't made it all happen yet.

Chris Padilla
12-17-2003, 3:13 PM
After using an Incra TS3a with the Wonder Fence for routing on on Incra table with the PRL, I pulled it off. I put the DeWalt fence back on.

I found the Incra to be a problem in several ways. First, the length of the unit was too great - the tail end of the fence always seemed to be sticking off the end and making it hard to move around the right hand side of th saw. If space is a concern, be careful when considering the Incra.

Excellent points, Eliot. I have a nice "hip/waist scrape" from trying to get around the end of the TS one time. However, since the fence is easy to reset to a previous position, I'vs simply learned take note of it (or slide a the ruler to an easy to remember number) and move it out of my way.

I guess it is a good thing my TS is on wheels...I do have to jockey it into position for making wide rips if the 3a sticks out to far. Still, I love the accuracy and the length is something I'm willing to live with.

Chris

Paul Massey
12-18-2003, 3:22 PM
I've started reorganizing my shop after a five year layoff. As part of the reorganization I want to combine my TS and routing table. I have a Grizzly 1023 TS. I am considering a Biesmeyer style fence along with my current Incrajig router system vs an Incrajig TSIII or Jointech sawtrain. Any opinions on which system is better?

Ken,

I think that upgrading to a better table saw fence is a good idea. Using your existing Incra jig fence certainly makes sense. I'm considering doing the same thing with my existing Jet tablesaw with it's Biesmeyer style fence by adding a router on the right side and attaching my Incra router jig to the right end of the table when needed (Incra is attached to mdf which can be clamped to a shaper or router table). For needed larger cuts on the table saw, the Incra can be easily removed. Let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Paul

Ken Robb
12-21-2003, 9:44 AM
I want to thank everyone for their comments concerning my TS fence upgrade. After careful consideration and remeasuring around my TS for the umpteen time I have decided to buy a Vega fence. I am getting the 40" fence system. I really do not have room for a 50" system and normally never cut 4' x 8' panels. The Vega rep told me their system does not need support legs so I can use my current mobile system with out modification. I will aslo buy a 27" x 32" router table from Woodpeckers to mount on the Vega rails. This table has machined holes for mounting my current Incrajig Ultra. Overall this system will cost $250 less than the Incra TSIIIa.