PDA

View Full Version : I needed more Gas!

Bob Hallowell
03-14-2007, 8:11 PM
As I was working today I saw some guys picking up after a tree was cut and there was this massive section laying on the ground, I asked the guys if I could have it and they looked at me and said if I could load it was mine.
So I called the misses and Said "Woman Bring me my chainsaw!" well I didn't actually say that cause if I did she would of hung up on me and well you know the rest. So I asked nicely for her to bring me my chainsaw. A way to little 16" craftsmen and I proceeded to cut it up as I was trying to cut the biggest of 3 sections I ran out out gas . DOH! I had to carry them cross a road as it was to dangerous to park there My back is gonna hurt tomorrow! These things are big I can allready see big salad bowls and hollow forms statrting to magicly apper in them.

Now for some questions- Is this hard maple? I am thinking that's what it is. I haven't bought any anchorseal yet I plan to next tuesday so can I just panit the ends tonight and leave it that way for a week till I get some anchorseal?

and next I pick this burl up last week It looks bigger than it is as the bark is very thick but how would you cut this and use it?

Thanks,
Bob

William Fourness
03-14-2007, 8:31 PM
Yes looks like Hard Maple/Sugar Maple you. Want to bring a small piece up next trip I can ID it for certain. The burl looks as if it is cherry. I would slice the in half for like two cap bowl blanks if size is there. I got my Anchor Seal out of Buffalo NY, they great people up there and get it to me in three business days.
A bucket of the seal is good to have around. And you can thin it out and use a garden pump sprayer for big blocks.
Any how looks like hard maple. If you got the room and the maple is green, spalt it up first.

Bill

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2007, 9:34 PM
Yes Bob I used some old latex paint I had left over from painting the house. I just used the last piece with paint on it and there are no cracks. I would suggest just putting on one coat, let it dry and then a second. You shouldn't need to anchorseal it. Just my $1.298.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-15-2007, 9:36 AM
Congrats Bob on a great haul, You did GOOOOOOOD!! I can also appreciate a man who knows which side his bread is buttered on.(you know, the how to speak to the wife thing) I'll leave the Burl cutting thing to the experts, guys like G.Burly Billy;) and Jimmy K. Burl:cool: and a few others.:)

Steve Kubien
03-15-2007, 2:29 PM
Looks like a good haul you got there Bob. Nice work. Go ahead and paint the ends. Use latex paint since it breathes. Another option is to take regular white wood glue, thin it 50% with water and paint it on. Since I do not have a local source for Anchorseal and I am not interested in having it shipped into Canada, I've been using this for a bit over a month. Yeah, I know that's a pretty short time but so far, so good.

Cheers,
Steve Kubien
Ajax, Ontario

Don Orr
03-15-2007, 3:13 PM
Nice score Bob. You already got advice on sealing. As for cutting that burl, I would hesitate to hack it into pieces and try to use it whole if possible, if you have a lathe big enough I mean. Maybe trim it down around the edges to fit the lathe if needed. The wildest figure would probably show if turned as a natural edge bowl. Coring out some smaller pieces from the middle might be advantageous too.

Have I given you enough reasons to go out and get more turning tools?:D