PDA

View Full Version : interesting results drying a piece of eucyliptus

Bill Wyko
03-14-2007, 7:05 PM
I turned a bowl from a piece of eucyliptus burl down to about 3/4" thick. It was still quite wet but i wanted to see what it was going to look like with finsh on it so I sprayed the outside with a thin coat of deft. a funny thing happened, it started to shrink very uniformly all towards the center with no finsh. It seems that the coat caused the wood to create directional shrinkage:confused: I don't know how this could be put to use but i just thought I'd let you all know what I encountered.:D

Kaptan J.W. Meek
03-14-2007, 7:07 PM
Hows about a pic?... would it show?.. Good luck with it anyway.. you should be able to turn it back true when the dryings complete yes?

Bill Wyko
03-14-2007, 7:16 PM
I'll take one or two tonight. I have an 8 megapixle camera so I should be able to make it show up.

Bill Wyko
03-16-2007, 6:42 PM
Here's a pic of the piece I was talking about. It's kind of hard to see what I'm talking about but it's pulling towards the inside. I don't know if its because of the finish on the outside or just a natural tendancy.

John Hart
03-16-2007, 7:15 PM
Just a guess...but you may have set up some of the same conditions as when folks wrap the outside of a bowl with paper and leave the inside exposed.

Bill Wyko
03-16-2007, 8:51 PM
It's getting in the hi 80's now. I'll let it set for another couple weeks and see what it looks like then. I have a segmented top and a staved lid planned for this piece.:rolleyes: