PDA

View Full Version : El Grande vs Ligero

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
03-14-2007, 7:03 PM
Hi,

Here are two pen kits that are basically the same but with different looking accents. A customer of mine wanted a nice wooden pen with a straight barrel body. This was a bit of a challenge for me as most of my pen bodies have some curve to them. I chose the Ligero and the El Grande to present to him for his choice.

This is the Ligero from CSUSA. I have been making this pen for a few years, the wood on this one is an Afzilia .
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/IMG_8012.jpg

I liked the wood blend of heart and light wood, this is highly figured
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/IMG_8011.jpg

This is the El Grande, I bought it at Lee Valley. The body is a heart wood/sap wood amboyna burl.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/IMG_8017.jpg

This wood was very dense and easily chipped out…a sharp and often honed skew came to my aid on this one.:D

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/IMG_8024.jpg

I am not sure I like the look of the accent on the El Grande as much as I like the Ligero, my customer will make that choice.:)

Bill Wyko
03-14-2007, 7:09 PM
Absolutly Beautiful on both counts. I'd have to really toss it around if I had to choose one or the other.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-14-2007, 7:30 PM
Jim....both are stunning! Fantastic craftsmanship! Well done sir!

And BTW...the skew is often my tool of choice when "planing" to get those flat surfaces on pens..........sharp...sharp....sharp and honed!

Curt Fuller
03-14-2007, 8:04 PM
I'm afraid if I had to choose I'd take all three. Those are really nice pens!

John Terefenko
03-14-2007, 9:19 PM
Very nice looking pens. Here is how I look at it. I would like the top kit with the bottom blank. I like the extra filigree in the pen kit. I like wood with character and the second blank has it going on.

May I ask what was your finish of choice and is this you finish you always use???

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2007, 9:28 PM
Jim they are both beautiful. Very, very nice. Nice job.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
03-14-2007, 9:28 PM
May I ask what was your finish of choice and is this you finish you always use???

Thanks John,

I use a skew as my turning tool, so just before my last pass I hone the edge for a fresh sharp cut, I make one long continous cut leaving no tool marks.

I then wet sand using Abralon pads (500-4000), I then go to Micromesh (4000-12000), I then use a plastic scratch remover and I am done...the stabilized wood gives a crisp and fine finish, That is why I like stabilized woods.:D

David Walser
03-14-2007, 9:31 PM
I agree with you, I prefer the Ligero to the El Grande. The Ligero just seems more refined. But that's like arguing about whether the Jaguar looks nicer than the BMW -- they're both pretty cars (but the Jag's prettier!) and you've made two great looking pens.

In addition, your photography is fantastic. What kind of set up do you use for taking your pictures?

Jim Becker
03-14-2007, 10:02 PM
Whichever one he didn't pick you're welcome to send to me! LOL!

Seriously, I like the first one better, largely due to the detail in the metal work.

Jeffrey Fusaro
03-15-2007, 7:07 AM
great job on the pens, jim.

i like the ligero pen hardware best.

but, i like the wood on the el grande. that's a beauty!

either pen will be a prized possession.

great photos, as well.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-15-2007, 9:59 AM
Jim, this is really a great looking pen it gives me some ideas for using that style with live oak. Super work!!:)

John Chandler
03-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Both pens look sharp. I like the second one best - the wood is very nice looking. Did you buy the wood as a pen blank or did you have the wood already? I think the first pen's hardware might look a little busy on the second pen - I think the plainer looking hardware goes with the second pen better.

Jonathon Spafford
03-15-2007, 12:24 PM
That's like arguing about whether the Jaguar looks nicer than the BMW -- they're both pretty cars (but the Jag's prettier!)
OH, no it's not!!!!!!!! :D :D

Ok, about the pens.... they are both magnificent! Very hard to choose! I like them both. I might go with the second one since it is plainer and I sort of prefer the plainer look. But the first one is right up there! You did a beautiful job turning them!

BTW, which one did your customer choose?

Don Orr
03-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Beautiful work as usual! I like the Ligero w/Afzilia best myself. The curl and grain of the wood seems to compliment the hardware details very nicely. Interesting to see the different opinions tho. Great photos which is normal for you!;)

Paul Engle
03-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Stunning , very nice.:D

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
03-15-2007, 2:02 PM
Thank You all for your kind words and thoughts. I thought posting the two would be an interesting topic...some of us pen addicted turnes know the imbalance we all face at the lathe.;)

Anyway, the customer chose the amboyna burl...he was very excited about it too....we put a fountain pen tip on it and it was what made him happy.:D

The blank was a stabilized ambonia from Arizona Silhouette.:)

Again thank you all for your kind support!